stevasaurus

Brush Painting Question

Lane Ranger

Steve:  I did not see your posting until today so this is after the fact info but still useful for a future project.

I usually spray paint my plows and lately I just use Regal Red Rustoleum.    But I also am now just coating the frames with Rustoleum Crystal Clear is they are in decent condition and not a lot of rust.

However,   we painted two tractors using Regal Red Rustoleum  and Massey Ferguson Red (Valspar) from a can.   However, we combined the paint with Flood Penetrol which smooths the paint out and leaves a very nice finish with no brush marks (when you use a very good bristle brush).

Flood Penetrol is a good product to use when applying paint with a brush.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

After the electrolysis, I put them on the charcoal grill to heat them up and dry them out.  I then took my 4" grinder with a wire wheel brush and went over the springs.  I had an old bread pan that was the perfect size for holding the springs...mixed up a batch of penetrating oil (2 parts ATF...1 part paint thinner (for oil based paint)...i part diesel) and let them soak in there for 3 or 4 days.  I am looking for the oil to get into the metal and not rust.  Maybe I will have to wipe them down in the spring.  They do look like new. :)  I am going to mount it on the B-100 today.

2612a404-3997-4289-90bc-19bd4600e9c6_zps

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

zanepetty

WOW. That's super nice Steve. I love the black edge and the american flag wheel horse sticker! I love it it :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Zane...it really did come out real nice.  How do you like the ghost peaking over the blade??? :scared-ghostface:   I did not plan that...just turned out. :)

• Like 1

squonk

Ghost Rider!!!

• Like 1

squonk

Here's my plow. Painted 2 yrs. ago with a TIP Turbine machine with an HVLP gun, Valspar restoration series with hardener. Just a little dirt on it from pushing a leaf pile last week.  :)

IMG_0487_zpsa5088d40.jpg

• Like 2

zanepetty

I love it Steve! Looks awesome haha

Martin

steve, the plow turned out really nice for brushing......

you got me motivated tonight to pull mine off the 416H and redo it......

its sitting in the back of my truck in pieces, waiting for an early morning blast and paint at work tomorrow,

thanks a lot, now i gotta get up early........

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Martin...have Jeanine make you one of those Bloody Mary's...Top Shelf Mate... :)

• Like 1

Stigian

does your wife look out the window and just shake her head??!!??

This made me laugh so much.. My wife does exactly that :D

Great video Steve, my Wife was wondering why I was chuckling to myself :D

You have do the right thing brush painting your plow, much easier than trying to spray in all the "fun to get at" places.

As a plow is a working tool I wouldn't see any point in trying to get a mirror smooth finish anyway as the paint will soon get damaged in use... Or maybe I have just abused my snow plow/dozer blade too much in the past  :D

By the way, what were you smoking?  I only ask as I noticed you didn't start singing until you had a few puffs  :laughing-rofl::ychain::D

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Ian...you were the inspiration for doing this thread...and video. :)   When I watched your fantastic video, and you brush painted your new trailer, it looked so nice...the light bulb just went on.  It really came out nice...Thanks Ian. :woohoo:

BTW...Camel Lights in a box. :bow-blue:

AMC RULES

How do you like the ghost peaking over the blade??? :scared-ghostface:     :)

Everyone knows the "spirits" are at your house Dino.   :orcs-cheers:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1