bean

are these deck spindles worth saving? video

bean

I took a look at the deck from my '73 8hp. it is a 36" sd. the sheet metal is gone, but the spindles do turn. I am no expert , so I took a short video. they were mildly stuck at first. I suspect they sat for several years in one position. the more I turn them, the better they get. I only messed with them a short time.

just curious if they are worth hanging onto. it looks like a lot of work to get them out. the pulleys are frozen on, and the bolts holding the housing look like they are fused together with the nuts.

http://youtu.be/t76tgdsWt6I

roscoemi

You can take them apart and replace the bearings and seal if the shaft is not lunched. Almost look like the spindle I am in need of, I just put an add in the classifieds. LOL

bean

do they have a sealed ball bearing inside the housing?

Lane Ranger

Not sure if the deck is worth saving but the housings may be.  You may mess up the pulleys getting those off but if the heads of the hex bolts can be used to take them off the cast housing should show a sealed bearing  (May be part #103119) .   You can buy three of the bearings on Ebay for about $75 dollars.   The housings are case and sometimes very brittle depending on how long they have been exposed to water, dirt, etc.  

If you use a mower deck with your tractor it is a good idea to do one of these deck projects as a rebuild and to gather some spare parts and a second deck as they are getting harder to get and you want to keep a good one going!

groundhog47

roscoemi is lookin' for a center spindel assy and pulley, listed in classified. PM'd him about your post.

And definetly yes worth savin'. The used shafts or complete are fairly often needed. Those look like the 3/4 top and bottom shaft units. If so the two outer pulleys also fit the 42", unsure about the 3/4" bottom, metric middle, unkeyed top unit outer pulleys.

Excuse me roscoemi, didn't see your post, just tryin to help.

Edited by groundhog47

bean

thanks gentlemen,

I will try and salvage what I can. it will be a while though. i'm still tying to beat the weather, painting the house.

Butch

If you can take them off, disassemble them which takes some work and patience to get the bearings out. There is a "C" clip that holds one side of the bearings in. You can see it. Sand  blast the casings

and paint them. They'll look good as new. Replace all the bearings. They are cheap on Ebay. Your casings look like there is a lot of material left on them and hasn't corroded off like many have.

roscoemi

Bean, I would be interested in one or more of them if your willing to part with them.

Groundhog, most of the time I need all the help I can get! Thank you. :thanks:

bean

Bean, I would be interested in one or more of them if your willing to part with them.

Groundhog, most of the time I need all the help I can get! Thank you. :thanks:

ok,

let me wrap up my painting. it is supposed to rain this week, and I am winding things up.

CATdude

I am in need of a spindle shaft or the complete spindle assy for a model 5-1010 42" side discharge that looks to be the same as what you have.  My deck has one worn shaft that allows some wobble and makes noise.  I may be interested in spindle parts if you are looking to sell.  Let me know.