Sign in to follow this  
bell

Need help with sundstrand seals... PLEASE

bell

The direction control shaft on my 876 is leaking. I am told the seal is NLA.

I downloaded the sundstrand manual from toro... I was looking at the parts breakdown and noticed that the "seals" that I need are listed as O-rings... Could it be that easy? Can I just use standard o-rings that are sized appropriately?

They are #52 and #55.... #51 is listed as a spacer.

sundstrand.JPG

I would like to find out if O-rings will work for this, before I tear it down. Thanks for any input, JB

Teddy da Bear

I know that a seal and o-ring are different.

A seal is flat on the contact surfaces (top & bottom).

An o-ring has a completely round profile.

Be that as it may......I would try to find an o-ring of the appropriate

size and use. O-rings are dirt cheap. It is worth a try to me.

bell

I'm going to try it... I had always heard it referred to as a seal, but the Sundstrand manual calls them O-RINGS! :USA: I think we may be onto something. :banghead:

rustbucket

i seen o-ring kits in NAPA i think for us common and metric both kits had a wide assortment of o-rings in em in all sorts of sizes and thicknesses. who knows hehe i may pick one up down the line just to have on hand for that just in case emergency.

bell

i seen o-ring kits in NAPA i think for us common and metric both kits had a wide assortment of o-rings in em in all sorts of sizes and thicknesses. who knows hehe i may pick one up down the line just to have on hand for that just in case emergency.

I've seen those too... great minds think alike.. lol :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

Believe it or not......Menard's has dozens of o-rings in the plumbing section in the larger sizes.

I learned from engineering that all o-rings are not made alike. There are different materials for different applications. Some materials will degrade when in contact with certain fluids.

I imagine the Menard's o-rings are on the bottom end of the ladder. I know they likely won't degrade in water! :banghead: