RMCIII

Ultimate Tractor

6wheeler

Yup, I will take a screaming 71 series Detroit over the new computer controlled Cummins we have in the mixers any day. Mine was an 8V-71T. 335hp fuel squeezer when I got it. At the first overhaul, it got N-80 injectors and a 92 series blower and turbo. It dyno-ed at 385hp. at the wheels. I wondered what crankshaft hp. that would turn out to be. It went from 4mpg. to over 6mpg. But, it was a hot runner. So, you really needed to watch the heat or she would crack a head. Fun days.

• Like 1

squonk

Screamin Detroits

image_zpsa48148a0.jpg

image_zps01b1f8ff.jpg

• Like 1

6wheeler

Awesome. 6-71 238hp. (unless turboed). We had one in a 71 IH 4070A. But, with the installation of N-70 injectors and just a little tweaking on the rack? It would give a 318 a run for the money. I love the look of that series Allis Chalmers tractors. I can't remember the number but they had a big articulated tractor with 2 mufflers. I think it was an 8550. That tractor just looked mean. Period.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Awesome. 6-71 238hp. (unless turboed). We had one in a 71 IH 4070A. But, with the installation of N-70 injectors and just a little tweaking on the rack? It would give a 318 a run for the money. I love the look of that series Allis Chalmers tractors. I can't remember the number but they had a big articulated tractor with 2 mufflers. I think it was an 8550. That tractor just looked mean. Period.

It was the 8550. IH also had a 1468 that had stacks on either side of the engine. I thought Deere did also, but not real sure.

6wheeler

I don't know if JD did use a V-8. I have never seen a factory one.  I went to Farm Fest one year and there was a custom 7520 JD with a 8V-92T Detroit that the owner had put in it. It even fit with the side screens and covers on. He even painted it green so it looked like it belonged there.The 1468 IH had the engine that would become the V-800 that IH tried to put in road tractors. It was supposed to be in the V-8 line with the 8V-71 Detroit and the VT-903 Cummins. My dads cousin (would that be my uncle cousin?) bought a brand new 1975 IH COF4070B that had the brand new V-800 International engine. It was supposed to be a 350hp engine with good fuel economy. In the first 100,000 miles it broke 2 crankshafts. IH took the truck back and gave him a 1976 model with a 400 Cummins in it at no charge to him. I would bet you won't see any of the truck builders do that now. Squonk, that twin turbo V-12 is just nasty looking. There is a guy up here with 2 pulling trucks with V-12's in them. The one is a Peterbilt Cabover that he used to haul grain with. It was ordered with that V-12 and put out 675hp. Needless to say, I couldn't even get close to catching him on big hills. The second is a custom day cab conventional Peterbilt also with the V-12 Detroit. His name is Gary Reis and he is still pulling them, or at least his kids are. I think they are both still named Longhorn. They have a heck of a lot more Horsepower now than what they came with.

Edited by 6wheeler
  • Like 1

RMCIII

Not real sure on what the 8020 came with from factory, but here is one with a Detroit in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZKsdTSPHI

It was from the factory, but they never put a V-8, only 6.

Edited by RMCIII

dcrage

Thought of you guys and this topic when I stumbled on this You Tube video from Farm Progress 2013 -- Lot of other videos from there also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpxnjJuh764

• Like 1

6wheeler

Dave, Thanks for bringing that up. I saw a few of those videos. Very cool. I liked that open station 1468 IH. Somehow I thought he would have been pulling 6-18"s at least. i couldn't tell if those were 16"s or 18"s but there were only 5 and I think that 190 Allis was pulling the same size plow. RMClll what do you think?

Edited by 6wheeler

RMCIII

It really is hard to tell. But if I had to guess, I'd say they are 16". Usually the 18" was a special order... The 12 bottom plow I pulled with the Steiger had 16". When you hook onto a 5 or 6-18, you better have some serious "grunt" to get through the packed areas of the field. I've had the 16"s stop the Steiger running 4.5mph. Granted, that was 12 bottoms.

Charger12Custom

RMC, there's a farmer that farms the land around my grandfathers house and that very tractor sits in the barn that my grandfather and the farmer share!

• Like 1

RMCIII

I hope it does more than just sits there.... :laughing-rofl:

Charger12Custom

I've seen it out and about a few times this year.

RMCIII

brb

Edited by RMCIII

RMCIII

Probably was hungry, must have been looking for a Deere to eat...... :laughing-rolling:  :hilarious: 

6wheeler

Probably was hungry, must have been looking for a Deere to eat...... :laughing-rolling:  :hilarious: 

Very Funny........NOT :ychain: . 6-18"s is a handfull that's for sure. Ours was a JD 2500 series hyd. reset semi mounted plow . It did a great job. We had both, a 2500 series 5-18" spring reset and the hyd.6-18". The 4320 full of fluid and weighted up could pull it fine. we have big hills and gumbo up here so a semi mounted with a sidehiil hitch was a must. There were a few guys with on land plows but not many.  The bad thing about that hyd plow was that it would pull out any boulder it hit because it took so much pressure to trip it. It was very hard on hydraulic systems because of the pressure needed to trip. We had it for about 3 years and after rebuilding the hyd. systems on the 4320 and the 5020 because of that plow, we sold it and got a 6-18" spring reset. to replace it. Those 2 plows (the 5 and 6-18"s) are both sitting in the corner of he shed and haven't seen the ground in 15 years. Nobody seems to Moldboard plow around here anymore. Everyone either chisel plows or no-tills everything. IMO every field should be MB plowed at least every 5 or 6 years, to get that trash and manure down deep and let it rot. But, being I am not in charge out at the farm? We don't do it anymore. So, I just settle for plowing my gardens. IMO, nothing looks cooler than a freshly plowed field. It just looks richer and darker. Not to mention the fun of watching all the sea gulls and crows that follow you around while plowing.

• Like 1