Twohorses

Engine swap

Twohorses

I have a 1999 312-8 with the magnum 12.5 OHV and the engine has been giving me some problems of late. Just recently I rebuilt a K301 and I am considering a swap of this engine to replace the magnum. Aside from stepping back to a flathead engine, are there any issues with this change? I still have my Raider 12 with same vintage K 301 engine and is is still a worker and runs like a champ.

I know that some of the early 312-8 tractors had the K301, but are there fit issues that I would run into?

ericj

the fit aka bolt up should be a snap and bolt right up the wiring will be the bigger problem to figure out i'm not sure if the kohler command has a mag or not but the k301 has points and the charging system may be different too the old kohler used a rectifier the command uses a regulator it can be done just got some planning to do before you start

eric j 

Twohorses

Thanks Eric.

I can figure out the ignition part of this and just may have to change the key switch to take care of a points system. I will have to study the charging system to determine what changes are needed. The good news is that it will bolt up ok, so I now have a path forward.

Bob

Kelly

It will bolt in if it is the large base block, and you have the correct oil pan, look at your Raider where the oil pan bolts to the block if it's the same your good, if not it can still be done but more parts will be needed.

Twohorses

Kelly:

I took some measurements this morning and I believe this should not require any additional parts. Looks like some re- wire and a new regulator though. Thanks for all the help!

Bob