Sign in to follow this  
dtallon

Wheel Horse Cart Wannabe

dtallon

I finished this up just in time for the Jacksonville show this weekend.  Some of you probably saw it there, but I thought I would share some photos of the project.  It was/is a Radio dumping trailer.  I wanted a cart to pair up with a Wheel Horse, and I liked the size and style of this one.  it started off in decent shape other than the rear lip was rusted through.

radio_wh_01.jpg

radio_wh_02.jpg

radio_wh_03.jpg

I wish I had taken more pictures during that part of the project.  I cut the bad section off and then tried to curl some of the good part over to match the rest.  The results were so-so, but after welding a 5/16" rod in to help reinforce it, and some more grinding and filling, it turned out decent.  

radio_wh_04.jpg

Fixing the lip was probably the worst part.  The parts all cleaned up pretty easily.  I didn't get too carried away trying to smooth out the inside because I do plan on using the cart some.  I sprayed the inside with some spray-on bedliner stuff.  Then I painted the rest of it with the Rustoleum Regal Red and Canvas White.  

radio_wh_05.jpg

radio_wh_06.jpg

Unloaded and headed into the show...

radio_wh_07.jpg

In line with the rest...

radio_wh_08.jpg

Despite the appearance that it could rain any minute, it hadn't yet when we got home from the show so we went out and picked our "Big Max" pumpkin.  The cart and 854 did a fine job bringing in the crop!

radio_wh_10.jpg

radio_wh_09.jpg

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

Dave:  I saw the cart and 854 at the show and did not get a chance to get to talk to you!  Thanks for making the trip and bringing your great project.  Very neat and the bedliner sets it off nice will keep it in good shape!

Edited by Lane Ranger

AMC RULES

Nice work...really looks great.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

groundhog47

:woohoo: Nice recyclin'

KC9KAS

Very nice looking cart.

Thanks for the photos.

It looks like a person could just replace the tub of these carts with a new wheel barrow tub.....That is what I thought these were the 1st time a saw one....A home-made cart using an old wheel barrow tub.

Edited by KC9KAS

Martin

dave, yes, very nice cart, and tractor too.  :thumbs:

had a brief moment to check them out on saturday after lunch and was really impressed with both of them. like how you finished off the bedliner on that cart.......

dclarke

You did a heck of a job on that cart, Dave. It looks good behind that 854!

dtallon

Thanks for the comments guys.  If I had it to do over again, I probably would just use a new tub.  I did explore that option, and bought a couple tubs to try, but ended up returning them both.  I couldn't find any that matched the shape very close, and the front wall was also angled different, so I wasn't sure how well the dump latch mechanism would work.  I also thought filling holes and locating & drilling others would be as much work as just fixing the rust on the tub I had.  In retrospect, all that probably would have been less work to overcome than all the welding and grinding to fix the rusted out part.  Oh well, at least I got some welding practice, and I am very happy with the finished product.  

Dave

radio_wh_11.jpg