Sign in to follow this  
701fierro

K141 K161 Identification

701fierro

I recently purchased a Kohler, supposedly K161. It has no covers or identification marks. The engine was originally painted a dark blue color and had the flywheel for a recoil starter. The main thing that stumps me is, the exhaust port is only 3/4", and it is not threaded, yet it has two studs for a muffler to bolt on. It is a 2 7/8" bore. I was lead to believe the early K161's had this bore size, but, the K141 has the 2 7/8" bore also. Is there anyway to tell whether it is a K141 or a K161?

bean

I've researched this myself, and am fairly certain the only difference in the k141 and k161 is the carburetor. the bore and stroke are the same.  it's hard to find a lot of info on the k141. I think it was used as a service engine, which sounds like what you have. they were painted blue. mostly used on compressors, generators, etc

. the exhaust bolted on, not threaded into the head.

Edited by bean

buckrancher

they were used on a 633 :wh:

• Like 1

bean

you mentioned that the exhaust port was 3/4". is that the actual measurement, or are you referring to 3/4" iron pipe size, which would be around an inch opening?

I just removed the style exhaust I have pictured above, from a k161, and the opening is 1" ip size

Edited by bean

bean

they were used on a 633 :wh:

that is the only tractor that I know of that used the k141.

I have been trying to find a complete, running k141 for a project. I have a k161, and was shopping for a k141 carb. I assume that is the only difference, but it sounds possible that the exhaust port may also be different.

buckrancher

I have two K141's and both have 1" npt tapped exhaust ports

bean

I have two K141's and both have 1" npt tapped exhaust ports

that's good to know. makes me think I can locate a k141 carb and make the conversion from a k161.

buckrancher

I'm thinking a carter #18

Edited by buckrancher