Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Another aquisition.

Stormin

Took a little trip down Burnley way this morning. Six hours and 240 miles later, I arrived home with this sweeper in the back of the Land Rover.

post-8870-0-24898500-1379959051_thumb.jp 

Tomorrow if it stays fine, it will be put to use.  :thumbs:

post-8870-0-39187500-1379958997_thumb.jp

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Nice.  6 hours to drive 240 miles?  lots of traffic? 

Stormin

Nice.  6 hours to drive 240 miles?  lots of traffic? 

No. 6 hours AND 240 miles.

meadowfield

nice!  thought there only me who did that many miles in the hunt for horse bits  :scratchead:

Stormin

thought there only me who did that many miles in the hunt for horse bits  :scratchead:

I really wanted it, Mark. Fed up with the unsightly rows of grass left on the green after mowing.

I've been trying to find out it's year of manufacture. The serial number is 87 - 316WO - 845. Does the 87 signify 1987?

Edited by Stormin

Anglo Traction

I've been trying to find out it's year of manufacture. The serial number is 87 - 316WO - 845. Does the 87 signify 1987?

Look's in good condition. 1978 is the year for a Model nbr which starts with '87'..........should read as 87-31SW01 (31" Sweeper) if you need to look up parts.

Regards

Stormin

Thank you Richard. :thumbs:

Parts wise, it will be getting new wheel, caster and brush bearings come winter. The tin work and frame tubing are all sound. Maybe give a lick of paint. It is going to be a worker not a show piece. Though it could get to a couple of shows.

The year ties in with Dave's (C-141mower) tractor. Got it from him. Most likely originally bought as a set.

Edited by Stormin

Anglo Traction

The Casters are (I believe) the same as on the '72' model. There is one of those laying around at a place down here where I got my first WH.

Next time I'm there, I'll check them out. If they are as good as I remember. I'll rescue them. Main Wheels are different I think ....unfortunately.

Stormin

Good casters would be nice. As to wheel and brush bearings, they seem to be pin and bush jobbies. Maybe some lathe work coming up.

gwest_ca

Illustrated parts list

Garry

AMC RULES

They really do work great, provided you've got the real estate to spool 'em up. 

Not so much in tight confines though.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Stormin

Gave it a go today. Performed quite well sweeping up grass. Wet grass at that and the village green is not what you would call flat.. :thumbs:  Not so good when it came to emptying. Didn't want to reverse on rough ground. Not surprising really, considering the small castor rollers. Could be a future mod or two.

Had a bit of a problem with the C-125 as well.  The circlip holding the left hand front wheel on decided to jump ship and the bearing followed it. :eek:  I found the bearing and also another circlip to fit. Not the best of ideas IMO. :handgestures-thumbdown:  Maybe a mod on the cards there as well. :eusa-think:

Anglo Traction

The earlier Models used Drilled and Tapped 3/8" UNC Spindle ends for Bolt and Washer retention.

Much better system, and not sure of the motive for change, which I believe occurred around 75/76 when they also changed the wheel style. 

I think you should have a word with Ian (Stigian), he may have some on the shelf, should be a straight swap.

I have only one good-ish one (L/H, Flywheel side).  

Stormin

I was thinking along the line of drilling and tapping the spindle ends. Be a far better job. The change was, most likely, some bright sparks idea of cutting costs.

Edited by Stormin

Anglo Traction

I was thinking along the line of drilling and tapping the spindle ends. Be a far better job. The change was, most likely, some bright sparks idea of cutting costs.

Silly me :hide: , of course, you've 'Got all the Gear' !.  Yep it will solve the problem. You may need some Thread Lock  on the Left Spindle retaining bolt you fit, as it may try to undo with the forward wheel rotation.    

Stormin

'Got all the gear'.  I wish!  I'd be more than happy if I had your set up. I do have a good supply of threadlock etc. though. :mrgreen:

Edited by Stormin

Wheel-N-It

Looks sweet behind the Black Hood !!!   I almost bought one from AMC Rules this summer at the big show but waited too long and someone else got it out from under me................