Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

1985-? Hood Seams

Hodge71

Just wanted to bounce this of some of the expert body guys. I am not a big fan of the 1985 and up 2 piece hood with the seam in the top front.I rarely see one that hasn't started rusting here or the paint chipping off. I'm redoing the 416 and this area concerns me. Even though I'm selling it I dont want to pass any issues down to the next guy. I have no access to a blaster at this time and I feel that its going to be a source for future aggravation with rust under new paint. I was thinking of cleaning this area well with a wire wheel in my 4" grinder and TIG welding the seam til its level. Then grinding smooth and painting. Any negatives to this plan or input of any kind for something that would serve me better? Thanks in advance.....

wrightorchid

I would think this would work, but be careful of warping due to the heat.   Might try brass/bronze, or lead as a filler.   The area I have most concern with is where the hood hinges to the frame in the front on my 312-8.  I have a tone of rust there, none on the seam you mention.

• Like 1

varosd

Jeff,

Even if you grind off the rust, at the subatomic level it's still there.  E-tank would remove it and then you start with clean metal.  not sure if the rust encapsulation paints are any better.

• Like 1

546cowboy

I use the rust converter stuff for something like that. I haven't run into that seam being rusty though and I do have a sand blaster that I use regularly. :techie-eureka: Harbor Freight has a small sand blaster that looks like a solvent gun and that would do it. It's pretty cheap and worth the money.

Kelly

If it was me, I would clean it the best you can, wire wheel what ever, use a rust stop product, to keep the rust at bay, do all your priming and sanding then just before painting use a seam sealer for autobody use to keep moisture out, do top and bottom side of the seam, on top wipe all excess off, with just enough left to fill the gap, no welding needed, much faster, but this is me.   

• Like 1

Hodge71

If it was me, I would clean it the best you can, wire wheel what ever, use a rust stop product, to keep the rust at bay, do all your priming and sanding then just before painting use a seam sealer for autobody use to keep moisture out, do top and bottom side of the seam, on top wipe all excess off, with just enough left to fill the gap, no welding needed, much faster, but this is me.   

That is a really great idea Kelly!! THank you so much for helping me think outside the box. That sounds a bit better than what I was thinking and it will also make the top of the hood smooth which is what I really wanted anyhow.

I use the rust converter stuff for something like that. I haven't run into that seam being rusty though and I do have a sand blaster that I use regularly. :techie-eureka: Harbor Freight has a small sand blaster that looks like a solvent gun and that would do it. It's pretty cheap and worth the money.

I do have access to a blaster down my brothers. Its big enough that I could put the whole tractor in it with the tires off. The problem right now is that its filled with transmission parts for his business. I dont like emptying it for the hood so I'm gonna try Kelly's suggestion.

Fordiesel69

harbor freight sells a small bead blaster you can use outside.  The beads will go to waste though.