Cutlas3391

1970 Wheel Horse Snowmobile Whats It Worth?

Cutlas3391

Well I was at a local garage sale today in the pouring rain to look at another mans junk lol. Just before I left the guy asked if I was interested in snowmobiles and he had one out back I said yea sure let's take a look. So the tarps comes off it was a wheel horse snowmobile! I couldn't believe it and I try to hold my emotions back and try to hold a poker face. The machine look original obviously weather form over the years. everything seem to be still there windshield,seat,headlights and all the logos where still on the machine. He said it runs and operates fine.

My question is what's this wheel horse snowmobile worth? Also are they rare? I knew they made them 6-7 years and this is the first one I came across. Do collectors wheel horse guys collect them? I also don't know any history on them. The bad part is he wants $400 firm on the snowmobile and is firm on price. I thought it would neat to own one and just didn't want to overpay for you. Sorry no pictures it was to rainy..

Thanks let me know what you guys think?

KC9KAS

I know very little about snowmobiles, but I would buy it for $400 and we don't even get enough snow to be worth owning one!

Do you have it home yet?

• Like 1

Cutlas3391

I know very little about snowmobiles, but I would buy it for $400 and we don't even get enough snow to be worth owning one!

Do you have it home yet?

Not home yet just seeing what's it worth. I'm going lose sleep on this one lol

Wheel-N-It

Do you have it home yet?

Wow, you got it bad KC!!!  And yes I'd probably buy it too if I could find one here in NC, but then I have to figure out how to put some wheels and a mowing deck on it so I could drive it more than one day a year. :techie-eureka:

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

I remember KenB was talking recently about buying one too.   :dunno:  

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: one ??? is the track. pain in the A>> to change as I grew up on sleds. and the engine may hard to get parts for it. do a lot research on this one before u buy. Gary     B......

Cutlas3391

Well I bought the snowmobile and came with paperwork. He said it only had 100 miles on it and own it since 1972. I'll post pictures later.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow:       :popcorn:

Hodge71

Cant wait to see the pics of it. I hope I find one someday. It would be a blast to redo one and use it in the winter with my boy. 

CasualObserver

They only made two model years of Wheel Horse Snowmobiles. 1970 and 1972.   With only 100 miles, you got a pretty good price.  It's common around me to see them sell from $50-500 depending on condition. There's a restored one on CL for around a grand.... but it just sits there. They're not rare, but they're not common either anymore. They're also not high on vintage sledding guys collectible lists.... but then, back then there were over 300 different companies with their fingers in the snowmobile business.

Looking forward to pictures.  Feel free to drop me an email/PM if you need copies of any manuals/documentation.  I have PDFs of all of it.

• Like 1

Cutlas3391

They only made two model years of Wheel Horse Snowmobiles. 1970 and 1972.   With only 100 miles, you got a pretty good price.  It's common around me to see them sell from $50-500 depending on condition. There's a restored one on CL for around a grand.... but it just sits there. They're not rare, but they're not common either anymore. They're also not high on vintage sledding guys collectible lists.... but then, back then there were over 300 different companies with their fingers in the snowmobile business.

Looking forward to pictures.  Feel free to drop me an email/PM if you need copies of any manuals/documentation.  I have PDFs of all of it.

Awesome thanks will get pictures up soon.

Charbs152
On 9/24/2013 at 11:44 AM, Cutlas3391 said:

Awesome thanks will get pictures up soon.

Still posting pics ? 😉

• Like 1

AHS

They had a two stroke Kohler! Kinda interesting!

bc.gold

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
5 minutes ago, bcgold said:

In April 1968, Wheel Horse entered the snowmobile market by purchasing the Sno-Flite snowmobile line of CE Erickson of Des Moines, Iowa.[4][5] Six-models called "Safari" ranged from 295 to 440 cc producing 18 hp (13.4 kW) to 30 hp (22.4 kW) with an optional electric start system, and were priced from $845 to $1,195.[4] Sno-Flite snowmobiles were made by Wheel Horse until 1972, when the line was sold to Parts Unlimited, who continued support for the products until replacement parts ran out in the late-1970s or early-1980s.[6]

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold