Sign in to follow this  
rich binko

K341 problem

rich binko

My 1972 k341 runs great for about 20 minutes then goes into a conniption and shuts down under a load.everything is new, coil, carb ,points,rings,valves,valve springs,fuel filter,,all oviose things checked....what I did find is positive crankcase pressure ,,possibly a clogged or miss installed breather,,,or possible ring falure,,,,when I pull the dip-stick to releave the pressure the symthom ends....any ideas? has any won else had a overload or shutdown condition due to positive crankcase pressure under a load condition?

rich binko

Also ,,,How can I make my own monometer to see the severity of the pressure?  a cork,hose and board?,,,

Wheel-N-It

I have read on other forums where the breather can be put in backwards (Maybe you adjusted the valves and reinstalled the breather backwards). Do a search for that and take your breather/valve adjuster cover off to see if that is your problem. I had a K341 that had the same symptoms (except for the crankcase pressure). My problem was the rod was seizing on the crank.

rich binko

I did a monometer test,,everythuing is perfect,,,pulling good crankcase vacuum....for ha,ha-s,,,,i left the dip stick out and installed a breather filter in place of the dipstick,,,,problem seems to of disappeared?....im going to run the tractor for a while like this to see ifit solves the problem..,,,also took the stock breather apart and made sure all was installed properly.....Question?when your rod was seizing on crank,,,,did it come and go? how did you know?and what was your fix?

rich binko

One more thing for anywon just tuning in,,,the problem is engine goes into a convulsive state and shuts down under a heavey load condition,,,when engine is hot,,,,pings a few times and shuts down,,,,pulling a hill while cutting or pulling cart .has any won ever had a problem with auto trans binding or causing engine to stress?seems unlikely but im grasping for answers......

joel_400

just a thought here...my brother had a cub that was being a pain. tore the carb apart twice, put new points and condenser, cleaned the carbon from the head, ground the valves, replaced the fuel lone and filter, and still did the same thing. Ended up taking the carb apart again. found the old fuel line had came apart inside and there was a chunk of rubber that would sometimes plug the inlet of the carb. wasted a bunch of time doing other things but that fixed it!

joel

Wheel-N-It

I did a monometer test,,everythuing is perfect,,,pulling good crankcase vacuum....for ha,ha-s,,,,i left the dip stick out and installed a breather filter in place of the dipstick,,,,problem seems to of disappeared?....im going to run the tractor for a while like this to see ifit solves the problem..,,,also took the stock breather apart and made sure all was installed properly.....Question?when your rod was seizing on crank,,,,did it come and go? how did you know?and what was your fix?

I got ripped off on a LAGT deal for starters, long story.....

Anyway it was not bad in the beginning but got worse as time went on. I did everything I could think of to rule out the little stuff  but after alot of sweat and wasted money and time, and saying alot of words that are not part of my regular vocabulary I took the tractor to someone who knows Kohlers inside and out. After 10 seconds he told me the rod was trying to seize and if I continued to run it I soon would have a hole in the block! After a complete rebild the engine runs like new and problem solved. The crank journal had to be turned .010 under sized, and a new matching rod installed. Good Luck and Trouble Shooting with yours!

rich binko

Thanks for the input,,,,I would almost be releaved at this point if thr rod came thru the block,,,,however as weird as it sounds since ive pulled the dip-stick and mounted a breather on the dipstick tube ,,,along with running 94 octane and a lead substitute additive,,,all seems to be fine,,,(so-far)...pulling hills ect.....