Sign in to follow this  
pacer

Mods to a D-180 front spindles & axle change 3/4" to 1"

pacer

This was a situation where I created a monster!

My front tires had begun to dry crack and had been thinking for some time "I need to get around to getting new tires" Thinking I would just mount up a couple new tires and be done.... well that didnt work out exactly that way.

The original D tires/rims had had a bearing failure and ruined the right front rim many yrs ago and I had "temporarily" put a couple Sears 400-8 on both sides as a matching pair, The bearing failure had caused a pretty good gouge in the 3/4" axle and I had off and on looked for a couple replacement spindles but no luck. On removal of the tires/rim I was reminded the axle was pretty bad, and having recently read JUSS10's post on making custom hubs with lug nuts, I think well I'll just make a custom hub and be able to move the bearing contact away from the gouged place (with no spacer).

So I do - and was finishing up when I took a break. Came in and checked ebay for WH parts and woohoo, Joes Outdoor had just put a whole load of D-180 stuff on and there was both spindles in one inch  - I grabbed them up! Put the 3/4 project on hold and anxiously waited for the new 1 inchers  and yes I never gave a thought that they wouldnt fit into my 3/4" axle, duh! Well luckily Joe had the axle listed too and I ordered it up. (On removal of the 3/4 axle I discovered it had a fair amount of wear anyway.)

During the waiting I had ordered up four 1x2" bearings and scrounged up a piece of pipe so by the time the axle came I had the bearing fitted up in the pipe and a piece of 1/4" plate machined with the inner dia bored and the lug bolt holes drilled & tapped and the plate welded to the hub. Replaced the 2 thrust washers and added a .060 spacer to each side to take up the little bit of wear.The new spindles fit nicely on the new axle (Joe apparently doesnt send out junk, the axle/spindles had minimal wear)

Had never liked the 400-8 tires on my D, so doing the hub mod like I was, I chose a boat trailer tire/rim in 570-8. When I got this thing together yesterday and took it for a spin I thought I had added power steering to it!! goodness, what a difference!

So, as often happens with my projects (maybe yours too??) a simple change of front tires turned into much more -- but I sure like the end result!

post-9681-0-30423500-1379779174_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-94690200-1379779192_thumb.jp

• Like 3

JackC

Nice job.  Looks great and apparently works great also.  I have had good luck buying from Joe.

groundhog47

:woohoo: Bill, came out really nice.

Marv

I like it. Looks great.

Marvin