Lane Ranger

Original 953 Wheel Horse Steering Wheel and Center Cap

Lane Ranger

We bought a 953 Wheel Horse in parts Thursday night.   Loaded all after the first big one inch rainfall  (we have had four more since in Northwest Indiana at my parents place).    I was surprised to find an original 953 steering wheel h=that had the diamond shape center.    After unloading more parts and dumping water out of some coffee cans full of small parts, I came across a real surprise-a center cap for the 953 in great condition.  The steering wheel has cracks and will need repairs and a new finish.  The cap will just need repainted on the top and a new decal!

We are going to put a 953 back together with all the original parts.  Our motor is painted and ready to go but I will be competing a Ross steering gear rebuild and a Hein-Werner hydraulic pump rebuild with this project.  

post-339-0-79215700-1379685432_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-36488900-1379685449_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-46020900-1379685465_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

CasualObserver

Very cool.  Have you already thought about sending that original center over to Glen to see if he can add it to his reproductions?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Yes Glen and Terry.   The center piece could be made from plastic and the decal is unique in design too!  

GlenPettit

I have never a steering wheel Insert like that, but almost anything could have come from the Wheel Horse factory.

The factory did not make any steering wheels themselves;  but bought them from many different sources over the years.

That insert is made of stamped metal, but it could be easily duplicated in plastic, and thicker so it fits in snugly.

I'm sure that Terry should be able to make a triangle decal to fit and to match.

Does anyone else have this type of steering wheel on their tractor?

Will you be at the October 5th Meet & Greet in Leesberg, where we could look at your Steering Wheel & Insert?

Glen

• Like 2

Martin

There have been a few members on here who have that wheel or who have mentioned it in the past. It would be nice to have a replacement center section, have not seen many nice originals....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I am taking it to Mentone tomorrow to show Terry Dennis who is there.  

Hammerhead

Very nice score on that early 953 steering wheel and even more rare metal center cap! I think those were only made on the first 1000 953's with the Ross gear box. They sold so many 953's that the manufacturer couldn't keep up with the orders. I have a NOS center cap and it looks like it is made out of brass, very rare indeed! Mine is raw metal and not painted black and no decal. Never saw one of those decals before they are super rare. Easy to make a repo though, since they are only about an inch long! I'd like to get one for mine. I'll try to post a pic of mine but right now Photobucket is down, figures! Way to go Lane! KJ

Lane Ranger

Yes the metal underneath the top paint scratches looks like brass or a brass coated/pot metal/ tin piece.    I am going to show this steering wheel and cap to Terry Dennis (AKA Vinylguy) today at Mentone.   I want to get some decals made for this and I am sure others can use them too!   The center piece in plastic fabricated by Glen Pettit would be great to have too!   I did get another Ross Steering gear setup too with this 953!

Martin

lane,  both the jd314 and cub 682 i have needed some steering work when i got them. both boxes were an easy rebuild.  the majority of wear is in the adjustment 'pin' that moves in the worm gear. the bearings on one of mine needed replacing as well. there is a thrust bearing kit that can be used on the cub and jd boxes but not sure if that would work on the wheel horse boxes as the look slightly different.

just found this thread you did last year on the subject.....

• Like 1

GlenPettit

That insert is made of stamped metal, but it could be easily duplicated in plastic, and thicker so it fits in snugly.

I'm sure that Terry should be able to make a triangle decal to fit and to match.

Does anyone else have this type of steering wheel on their tractor?

Does anyone else have this type of steering wheel on their tractor?       (no interest so far . . .?)

A replacement plastic insert with Terry's decal would very likely look even nicer than the original metal

insert, But, we would have at least 10–20 hours into it plus $50 in Silicone & Resin, and then add the cost

for making the decals.   There would have to be at least stronger interest to justify this, otherwise it's

best to just work to save and restore those two original metal inserts.

To make almost anything, there is a lot of time in planning, solving and making the first one, especially if 

molds have to be made.  To make just two may cost $200 each, but to make a hundred may drop the cost per

piece to just a few dollars, and to make a 200,000 on a big automatic machine may drop the cost to 15¢ each.

There are a lot of remanufactured parts available for some older cars because the need and potential sales

will justify and make it worthwhile to remanufacture them.  Many times we will restore a tractor and do a 

beautiful job, and then sell it almost at a loss, barely paying for materials, because we love doing this work,

and restoring Wheel Horses out of our respect of them (it's a hobby, an interest & a social thing).

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

I shared the 953 steering wheel and insert with Terry Dennis at the Mentone Show and Swap Meet on Saturday.  Terry took photos and measurements of the Wheel Horse diamond shaped decal and indicated he would work on it to make some.   The insert as you said would cost to tool the machinery and mock up for others and there has to be interest in others getting this part.  

I am more than willing to send the insert to you Glen if and when you think you might want it to make some more.   All I ask is it be returned when you are through with it.

Thanks Terry and Glen for what you do. 

Joker.171

Id buy a remake of the center cap 

953 nut
30 minutes ago, Joker.171 said:

Id buy a remake of the center cap 

@GlenPettit is a vendor here and he makes the center cap. Very nice guy and easy to work with. He also makes the headlight lenses for the early 953 as well as the tail light.

k2wilson

I have one, but as you can see, it's toast.  Would LOVE to find one in better condition.  :crying-yellow:

Copy of $_57.JPG

• Like 4

prondzy

This is probably another members tractor but i saved a pic for future reference.DSCN9011.JPG.56e9254674afe4a6cedffdd7874299c4.JPG

• Like 1