calibear2003

314-8 Suddenly will not start..

calibear2003

I have a 1996 Wheelhorse 314-8. I used it on Saturday for its weekly lawn duty and as usual, it performed flawlessly. The next morning I went out and It will not start or even fire. I thought this was Very Strange being that I just used it the day before then parked it in the garage. I did remove the spark plug, turned it over and determined that I am not getting spark. Can someone please tell me if there is a fuse that I may have blown? I am wondering if the kill wiring under the seat may be presenting a problem?? I checked the wiring and everthing seems intacked. I hope the experts here can shed some light for me....

Thanks in Advance...

Mark~

timo4352

When I had a similsr issue with my 310-8 it turned out to be my PTO safety switch. There are three switches to check - PTO, clutch and under the seat. I put a little jumper in place of my PTO switch - it worked - problem found - ordered new switch - and back in business.

Wheel-N-It

If your engine turns over with the starter motor (but has no spark) then I would suspect its in the engine itself, or the ignition is somehow being grounded out. I would put in a new plug. If that didn't fix the problem I would then take the white wire in the back of the motor out of the circuit and try to start it.The white wire is the one that is grounded out by the ignition switch to kill the engine. If it still does not have spark then I would suspect something with the magneto.

calibear2003

Thanks for the replies guys. When I get a chance between work, changing and feeding my little muskrat, I will look into the the above advise...

Thank you....

ericj

don't over complicate it start with the easy stuff first. some of the safeties keep the motor from cranking and some kill the spark pto will do both depending on conditions, it could also be an ignition switch. best advice is to down load the wiring diagram and take it 1 step at a time, but look at the easy stuff first good luck

eric j. 

WH nut

Quick and easy test to see if it mag related. Unplug the wire going into the motor. Jump across the solenoid and see if you have  spark. If not its in the mag. if you have spark then plug motor back in and unplug Ign switch and jump again.

Irv

Had the same sounding problem with my 314-8. Used it, parked it for a little while and then it would not start.(turned over like you're saying). Put in a new plug and it started right up. If it still doesn't, I'd look at the coil.

calibear2003

I have been so busy with work and family, I have not yet had time to address any of the possibilities and or advise given above. However, I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eye's. But, this past Sunday I we t out and turned it over AND 6 tiny field mice ran out from behind the engine shrowd......I now know where to check first...!!!!!

cruisnblue48

I also have a 314-8 that did the same thing last week while I was doing normal mowing. The engine seemed to be cutting off like it was out of fuel. Turned it off and checked the fuel tank... half full. Got back on the tractor and nothing... wouldn't crank... no lights. Put the battery charger on it for an hour and still nothing. Pushed the tractor all the way to the garage and figured I would check it out next week. Today, I got the tractor out, turned the ignition switch and again nothing but heard something that sounded like a spark. Popped open the hood, turned the key switch and spark flew from the positive battery cable connection. Nut was not tight, duh! Tightened the positive battery terminal connection and BAM, she started right up and was eager to finish mowing my lawn. So yeah, check the easy stuff first... will save you a lot of time and trouble.