Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

520-H Electrical Meltdown

mattd860

Well, it's my turn to have electrical problems on my 520-H and it happened out of the blue. I used the tractor to mow a couple days ago and it worked great although I noticed my volt meter was dead. I turned it off when I was done mowing and then attempted to turn it back on the next day but it wouldn't start - it wouldn't even turn over. The first thing I checked were the fuses and I noticed a problem right away because the 30A fuse was melted but never popped (see below).

I replaced all the fuses but I still can't get it to start. I've inspected the fuse box and it appears ok. If I manually apply voltage to the starter motor from the battery it will turn over and run but all three of the fuses get really hot. Also, the voltage and rmp gauges do not work. 

So I obviously have a short somewhere due to to the intense heat caused when the 30A fuse refused to pop. If I test continuity between the pins on the fuse box where the 30A fuse is supposed to be, my meter reads an extremely small amount of continuity - not enough to display a reading but enough to make the meter beeeeep.

The short is preventing the tractor from starting. So I've been trying to trace down all the wires according to the wiring diagrams found in the electrical demystication guide but haven't found anything yet. 

Any thoughts or advice???

0915130724_zpsa244dc3f.jpg

gwest_ca

The terminals are not gripping the fuse tight enough to pass all the current in the circuit. That causes high resistance = heat.

Garry

Jeremy Watson

This same thing happen to me a couple of years ago, melted the fuse block as well. I got a new fuse block wired it in and everything was fine. Good luck.

Save Old Iron

classic stuff 

+1 on replacing the fuse block - or at least the fuse block metal female terminals

Save Old Iron

a short circuit would have quicly blown the inner element of the fuse, leaving the fuse plastic unharmed. your fuse shows prolonged, lower level heat localized to the blade of the fuse.

the heat traveled thru the metal blade and softened the fuse body without ever melting the link  inside the fuse

mattd860

Swapped out the fuse box and everything is working again! Thanks