Sign in to follow this  
pdinsc

transaxle for a 1961

pdinsc

Looking for a good used transaxle for my 1961 wheel horse, not sure of model. can anyone help with this?

wallfish

Welcome!

You will need to know the model. A 401 trans is completely different than a 551 or 701. Post a thread asking for help with the model ID with good pictures from all 4 sides.

Edited by wallfish

pdinsc

Tried to figure out how to post pictures but no luck. any suggestions?

stevasaurus

Like Walfish said...need a lot more info to try to help you out.  Welcome to Red Square.  Click on this link and see if it helps you to post some pictures.  There are 2 different types of transmissions for 1961...one is a center casting with side plates...and the other is a 2 piece casting.  While the internals are similar, they do have some different part numbers.  Why do you think you need a new transmission?? :eusa-think:

AMC RULES

...or you could place a "wanted" ad in the  :rs: classified section. 

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES

pdinsc

I have the center casting with two side plates. My center casting has been damaged and the diff. has been welded.

stevasaurus

If, indeed, it is a 1961...sounds like you have a 401 with a Wheel Horse transmission # 5010.  If you have it torn apart...what is good and what is bad??  We have a few members that may be able to supply you with the parts you need.  You can still buy the bearings and seals if they are bad. :)   What is welded in the differential? 

pdinsc

Whete the spider gears would be.

stevasaurus

OK...pictures would be worth a thousand words...is anything with the differential salvageable??  IE...the differential housing, the axles, the axle gears...are the spiders and posts there.  Know that there are a couple of different types of differentials out there...one piece with about 33 teeth on the bull gear...one piece with about 44 teeth on the bull gear...and 3 piece (2 plates with the bull gear bolted together) 44 teeth.  How many teeth does the large gear that meshes with the bull gear have???  8 or 11???   I doubt that you will find a complete transmission for your horse that you will not have to rebuild.  Do you have this thing apart?? :eusa-think: