Sign in to follow this  
Rusty square

lawn ranger techumseh

Rusty square

So my 67 lawn ranger just decided to throw the rod threw my 8hp techumseh (WTF). So im not going to let the ranger die that easy, it looks like its time for a repower. What do you guys recommend for a good engine to repower the ranger without cutting it up to bad?

groundhog47

Rusty, am sorry to hear. Like said on mine Mr. Pond decided to use that engine, have never been a fan of Tecumseh but that's what my LR originally had. Rod left of on accord. My friend Jim specialwheelhorse provided another. I'll run it when do, till it bugs out. A kohler is a great replacement if can find if lookin for nearly period look. If not mistaken that rear end and frame was on the 8xx series, so an 8hp kohler and maybe a B&S  would prob work, totally unsure except that gas tank mod would be required mre than likely.  

AMC RULES

Sorry for your loss...   :violin: 

I don't know anything about 'em, but I keep seeing ads that Harbor Freight has a 6.5 hp, horizontal shaft replacement engines for sale. 

Regularly priced at $99.00, usually offered with a 20% off coupon as well. Might be just the ticket of you're looking for something on the cheap.   :confusion-shrug:

squonk

Friend of mine yanked the Tecky before it became unglued in his Granddaughter's Ranger and dropped in a HF rice burner. Lots of work to prevent cutting things up

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/Mike604/media/IMG_0255_zpsb3d99889.jpg.html]IMG_0255_zpsb3d99889.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

How's that rice burner run Mike...worth the effort?    :scratchead:

squonk

He likes it but I would have kept the Tecky until it went BOOM! It just putts around and it would have kept it original.

sorekiwi

K181 Kohler will bolt straight in.  I wouldn't even consider anything else.

timo4352

There is a older wheel horse on the local CL here that has a little Honda engine on it.

Should be reliable :hide:  don't know what it would take to make it fit though.

Rusty square

It's probably gonna be a carroll stream diesel swap 10hp

sorekiwi

It wont fit, the 10 hp diesel is a big motor.

Jon Bell put a 4? hp diesel in a roundhood.