Sign in to follow this  
greybeard

amount of oil for 655 8 hp

greybeard

I have a wheel horse 655.  I have found two manuals that say to add 21 oz of oil, but the specifications are for a 6hp....mine is 8hp.  Do I add the same amount?

sorekiwi

What engine do you have on the tractor?

WH nut

Does it have a dip stick?

boovuc

Hi Greybeard!

You really won't get an answer back until we know exactly what engine is on that tractor since it has a replacement motor on it. I am 'guessing" it's a Kohler 8HP. (K181S maybe).

Without knowing if it is a Tecumseh or Kohler can be a disaster in waiting.

The Kohler "8" should have a dipstick built right into the oil add plug.

greybeard

no it does not have a dipstick and it is a 8hp briggs and stratton engine

boovuc

OK. It's a Briggs. I had the same issue as you had with a friends tractor. It was an old Huskey but it had a different engine on it and no markings on the engine to identify it's spec. Even if you had a spec number, it doesn't mean that the previous owner didn't put a different oil pan under it so it is a big "UP in the Air" kind of thing.

For my buddy's tractor, I bought the absolute cheapest 30w oil I could find and added 8 ounces and checked the stick until we got it to full. (Then drained and put the good stuff through)!

Since you don't have a dipstick, (unless you work in the most perfect place on earth), I am guessing you have a "oil level plug" somewhere around the base of that motor.

The plug will be on a slight grade above the engine's base and when unscrewed, the oil level should be level to the plug's opening or just a hair below it.

(This is common on vintage Tecumseh and some Briggs engines).

If you do have any tags or motor ID numbers for that Briggs, it may help. Pictures help also. Where is the Oil Fill Plug on that engine?

Please let us know.

greybeard

it does have an oil level plug and i just filled it to the top of the hole. havent had time to get the numbers off the motor but will try soon thanx for all your help.