Sign in to follow this  
jst1more

In need of advice on attaching mower deck to my new C-160 auto

jst1more

This is my new to me 1974 C-160 auto, and I'm pretty happy with my purchase, but i need help attaching the mower deck.post-1293-0-49020100-1377648566_thumb.jp

The tractor came with a 42 inch SD mower deck (model #5-1010). The deck's manual says to line up the pin of the lifting bar with the slotted hole in the leveler bar on the mower deck. Now I need to figure out what is a lift bar? The mower deck manual shows no lift bar, so I think it must be attached to the tractor. I check the tractors part manual and it shows a lift bar with a lift rod and trunnion with the illustration showing a lift lever.

My C-160 doesn't have a lift lever, but rather a hydraulic lift. Do I still need a lift bar with a hydraulic lift? If not, what part do I need so I can start mowing? Thanks for any help anyone has to offer

boovuc

Just looking at the picture posted, it doesn't look like you have all the mounting hardware on the mower deck that is needed for a C-series deck. Look at the picture posted of a 42" SD Deck below.

post-940-0-56793300-1377651534_thumb.jpg

Sparky

I think you might have a pre 1972 deck which doesn't work with that tractor (great looking tractor by the way).

Mike............

jst1more

Thanks for your thoughts, I will drop the deck from the attachamatic and photograph the deck, but I'm thinking all the brackets that belong with the deck are there. Hopefully someone that has a deck mounted on a c-160 will chime in.

Thanks again,

Scott

Shuboxlover

In the picture Boovuc posted...see the bar to the right of the drive pulley (left if you're on the tractor)?  Not the one directly over the drive pulley but the one right beside it....that's the lift bar and the pin goes in there.

daveoman1966

From your pic (enlarged) , the deck looks correct.  I bet you don't have the complete hardware under-neath the C-160.  Specifically, the lift bar that is in this schematic, and in the pic I am posting.  ps... I have these parts for the C-160. 

Note...the schematic shows manual lift hardware, but the bar you are missing is still the same thing.

I think you are missing bar is # 56 ...it is 'T' shaped and hangs under the tractor (#57 is a bushing..  )

The deck hangs on the 'toe' end of this bar.

The trunion and rod( 58 & 59)  would hook to the hyd lift bell-crank.

My email is:  daveoman@windstream.net

Located in n/w PA zip 16433

Lemme know if you want these parts.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

LFDRET

also your seat springs are on wrong, they should be turned around with the open area toward the back.

and Boovac is right your deck should have the hangers shown in his pic.

I just tore a deck apart like that one and have all the parts you need

Bill 517 646-6822

Edited by LFDRET

546cowboy

Well first thing is make sure you have the lift bar. Start the tractor up and push the Hydraulic lift lever to the down position, now look under the tractor and you should see the lift bar hanging down in the center. If you don't see anything hanging down, it is missing and you need one.

To install the deck you need to start the tractor and push the lift valve lever to the up position. That lifts the lift bar all the way up. Now you slide the deck under the tractor almost all the way under. Now you can use the lever to lower the lift bar down and slide the deck while lining up the lift arm so that the pin lines up with the slotted hole on the carrier. Now you will have to line up the front attachment arm with the brackets on the tractor. Push the pin in on the left bracket and you will pull the latch arms to open the Tac-a-matic. You will have to lift the front of the deck and the carrier to get the bar up in the latch. Once you have it up in there push the arms you opened closed and the deck is mounted.

It's kind of a hard thing to explain in words without actually watching someone do it though.

Edited by 546cowboy

jst1more

Wow this is all good, I will remove the deck after work and post a picture and thanks for the heads up on the seat springs. Did all C-160 come with arm rests or was that an option?  I thought PO may have put on a new seat?

Thanks,

Scott

546cowboy

It looks like a different seat but your picture isn't very good the sun is shinning on it.

Here is a picture of the C-160 I just finished refurbishing and it has the correct seat.

post-1334-0-01634600-1377693623_thumb.jp

post-1334-0-45030400-1377693640_thumb.jp

jst1more

Thanks to all members for your help and pictures. I've added pictures of my deck and beneath the tractor.  Looks like I need a lift bar, bushing, and hanger to attach to the hydraulic lift underneath the tractor. Plus I see that i need a pair of rollers  for the rear of the deck. You can also see from the oil on the deck, that my lift cylinder has a slight leak---I'm working on that. From what I read on this forum it is best to replace with a used one rather than cutting it open and welding it back together.

post-1293-0-82325500-1377731944_thumb.jp

post-1293-0-88778400-1377731983_thumb.jp

RJR49

I noticed the reinforcement on Dave L's. Does anyone have an old Horse that doesn't have or need that fix?

Racinbob

jst1more, if you posted the second picture thinking the lift bar goes in those two holes, it doesn't. It goes in the two holes just in front of the rod you can just see at the top of the picture. Ebay can help.

rmaynard

I probably have a lift bar if you need one. PM me if you do.

jst1more

Thanks to this forum, the parts are ordered, I now have a good understanding where everything attaches, and  by early next week I will be mowing my yard.

Scott