Sign in to follow this  
greybeard

beck belts on a 1965 655

greybeard

i just picked up a 1965 655 wh and not real sure how to change out the 2 deck belts that are on it. If anyone know please help.

daveoman1966

the 655 takes deck model 5-2321 or 5-2361 and the two-belt set # 1578 is for either deck.  I have a like-new pair of these belts and can put them in the mail to you for $25 total.  The dealer price is just under $25 EACH for these belts. 

my email is:  daveoman@windstream.net

greybeard

I might be interested!  But how do you get those belts off?

squonk

Does your deck have the 2 rods coming from the lower pulleys to the top pulley or the slotted hole by the top pulley?

greybeard

this is the one I can't get off.  I can get the belt off the front but not this area.  I was going to drop the whole spindle but the gears wont come off.

post-11161-0-99808000-1377646131_thumb.j

gwest_ca

There are 2 bolts coming up from the bottom into the top bearing housings. Remove them on the right side and loosen them on the left side. That will allow you to lift the right side high enough to get the belts between the lower gear and the top shaft assembly. Place two newspapers between the bottom gear and the shaft assembly. Slip the belts between the papers so you don't get grease on them. Before you reinstall the bolts make sure the blades are timed 90 degrees apart.

Garry

squonk

I see by your pic you have the style of deck using 2 rods. Loosed that big nut on both of them and turn the rods as if you were tightening a screw to loosen the belt tension. Turn the rods evenly the other way to tighten belt. Also GET LOTS OF RAGS!!