whfan74

New Tractor Club

whfan74

It really seems like a long time since I did my last update. Since it is Wednesday night, that can only mean one thing, Tractor Club Update!!!!

The day started, as far as the club is concerned, over my lunch break. I met with a couple of very nice gentleman that were laying out the plans to give us a warm place to work this winter. The ball has been set into motion as they will be making some calls to their friends and seeing what it will take to get spray foam insulation up as well as a lower ceiling put in. I am overwhelmed by their generosity to say the least.

Tonight the heaters were working as we had a great night to work with temps in the mid 50's during the day. Sanding commenced and the kids became encouraged as I mentioned that I will be getting some parts sandblasted to help speed up the process. We spent about half of our time sanding and the other half of time working on a teachable lesson.

We hauled in a 12 h.p. Kohler that has a broken rod. We started taking this motor apart and stopped periodically to explain how each part worked and was able to produce the power needed to actually make the tractor work. It was just as rewarding for us as it was them. I am hopeful that they were all able to walk away with a little more knowledge on how a gasoline powered engine works.

Here is a photo of the kids around the engine as they were removing the head bolts.

post-919-0-91942000-1386210310_thumb.jpg

And of course we can not leave out these professional sanding machines! :)

post-919-0-84548400-1386210380_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-85258900-1386210394_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-61877100-1386210406_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-11330000-1386210423_thumb.jpg

Earlier this week I received a very nice surprise. A gentleman named Ron Greco, not sure if he is a member here or not, has been following our progress on the Wheel Horse Junkies Facebook page. He informed me that he has been very impressed with the work these kids are putting forth and has purchased a t-shirt for each kid from T&H Creations. The shirts should be arriving within the next week and will be a very nice and generous Christmas gift for these kids. They have no idea of what is being done, but will be so excited when they receive them. I can't wait to see their faces! Thank you Ron......very, very cool!

This has been an amazing journey and I want to thank all of you for being such a huge part of helping shape these kids lives!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

• Like 6

lt230s

Scott,

Thanks for the update. Great thing your doing. Even if this is the only time they do anything with WH or any tractor, you are teaching them lifetime skills.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What a GREAT IDEA. kudos to everyone involved.

• Like 1

whfan74

Update again for tractor club!  Sorry for the delay for those of you that look forward to getting these updates!

Well like most of the country.........we are flat out freezing around here.  Though this might not pose a problem to some, it really puts a wrinkle in what we are trying to do here at school with our club.  If you have been following along you know that we have run in to some issues with getting enough heat in to the building.  As I mentioned last week, I had a few gentleman stop by and look over the building and get an action plan in place to insulate the building so that we can have a warm place to work over the winter months.  After a few phone calls and trying to get it set up to have electric run out to the barn, things changed for the better.

I was then approached by these men and they said let's skip the whole idea of insulating.  I was kind of confused and bummed at the same time.  What was coming next was something I never even dreamed of.  They said "How about we just build you your own building exclusively for the the club?"  I couldn't believe what I was being told and asked again what they were planning to do.  They decided it would be much more beneficial to just build a 12 x 20 shed that will be fully insulated with lights and the whole 9 yards.  If I could perform a cart wheel I would definitely be doing them right now.  I have to get board approval through the school system which is just a formality, get my permit from the city, have the 220 electric service run to the new area, and the building will be built and then transported to the school property.  I keep pinching myself as this is surreal.  Now that the ball is rolling I am hopeful that we can get this building in place by the beginning of the new year.

This is a great addition to the club for sure.  Last night we had change things up as we couldn't even work out in the barn as the temperature was just too cold.  We moved quickly in to the computer lab and started researching the history of Wheel Horse tractors.  It was a good refresher for me and the kids learned some very valuable information about the progression of the company.  Many questions were asked and answered and the kids seemed to really enjoy digging deeper in to the history of the Pond family.

Needless to say the last couple of weeks have been amazing.  I never imagined in my wildest dreams that this project would turn out the way it has thus far.

Continue to check back for updates..........things seem to be getting pretty exciting!

Sorry for no photos this week!

• Like 3

Anglo Traction

Well isn't that the best news you can get for Christmas Time. As I've already said, I reckon you'll be on 2 Club days a week in the New Year !. 

Happy for you Scott !.

• Like 1

speedyleedy

Good deal Scott , The old saying is good things happen to good people so Merry Christmas ! :occasion-santa:

• Like 1

CRE1992

I just saw this thread. I think its awesome what your doing for these kids. I wish there was something like that when I was in elementary school. And I am very impressed with the group willing to build you a shed to teach and work with them in, more power to you. Sadly something like this would never work in my town. Too many people that are too helpless to do anything themselves, I graduated high school in 2010 and now there is no wood shop and the school is trying to close down the auto program. The auto program gets $50,000 every year from the government to buy new materials tools, machines etc... Well last year when I went to visit my old teacher, he said the school spent the $50,000 not on the auto program but instead on new projectors for every class room. Everything is so geared towards going to college and not working manual labor or learning a skill or trade... We are gonna have some more serious issues in the ext 10-20 years.

• Like 2

whfan74

Thank you guys for the nice words and the encouragment as always. 

I truly feel blessed and honestly can't believe all of the good things that have transpired over the past couple of months.  Excited to see where this journey takes us.

I can say that I am the one that is blessed through this project.  These kids are such an inspiration and always great to work with.  I was kind of nervous proposing this idea to administration and I am thankful that they gave me the blessing to proceed with the club.

What a journey it has been and I can't wait to see where it takes us. 

Thank you to all of you that have found interest in our little club and are willing to follow along with our progress.

Now the hard part.............to me I feel like we are running out of time.  I am considering getting the rest of the parts sandblasted to help speed up the process.  Through this I am also considering having everything powder coated.  I really don't want to go that route for this first tractor...........but we don't have heat and I am not sure how soon we will have it.  I really want the kids to paint and have their touches left on every part but I have to be realistic and know that we need to get cracking on this thing.  These past few weeks we haven't made much progress due to the weather.  I have a lot to think about and set up a plan that makes the most sense and will help us get to our final goal of having a tractor completely restored.

What do you guys think?????

• Like 2

pezsox

This such an amazing thing for a school project. I coach and have coached sports for 20 years, and the one thing I have learned is that it always gave me more than it did my athletes. I used to get my wrestling team together on Thanksgiving morning. We would play games, laugh, but most importantly we would sit and talk. Some of these kids never had anyone to listen. This Thanksgiving one of those kids called me after 15 years crying and told me thank you for giving him a Thanksgiving memory. So for them to sit next to another kid who they may or may not know, while sanding (the most boring thing in the world) and maybe just being able to listen, could change a life. If someone makes the time, there will always be someone to take that time. Hats off to you, and to all of you who have donated items, it truly is being noticed.

• Like 2

Uncle Buck

I think you are correct in your thinking. Ideally you would not go this way but I think this a better solution so that you are assured the project can be concluded prior to the end of the school year. Weigh what you are suggesting against the disappointment for the kids in an unfinished tractor at the end of the year! Just no contest right, yup I think you are correct in your thinking.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

whfan74

Thanks you guys for the input. I HAVE to make sure this thing gets done. I don't really have much of a choice especially since we are dead in the water until we have a warm place to work. Unfortunately I don't know how long that will take either.

The conversations, singing, and sharing of jokes has been one of the highlights for me. Being their physical education teacher, I don't get to know them like their home room teachers do. These are GREAT kids that really make me laugh!

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   I look forward to your updates each week. I agree that having most of the remaining parts sand blasted would speed things up, but painting the parts should be done as a group; that is a major point of pride. Most folks won't ask who did the body work, but they will ask who painted it. The pride the kids will have in saying We Did is big.

Hope you get the new building and make up for lost time soon.

Dkphillips

I agree 100% with 953 nut. Painting is something special. People always ask "who painted that" and it is really nice to say I/we did. To me painting is the most important part of any job. Keep up the GREAT work with those kids. They will get so much more out of the project than they will ever know...until years from now. Sometimes I think about wood shop projects that I did over 50 years ago while I am working on a wood project. Hopefully other schools will pick up on your idea for the tractor club and start their own clubs.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

:text-goodpost:   I look forward to your updates each week. I agree that having most of the remaining parts sand blasted would speed things up, but painting the parts should be done as a group; that is a major point of pride. Most folks won't ask who did the body work, but they will ask who painted it. The pride the kids will have in saying We Did is big.

Hope you get the new building and make up for lost time soon.

I got the sense that the OP was expressing a fear of not getting the project finished to completion before the end of the school year if he didn't figure out a way to streamline the process a bit. To my thinking in the end it is more important that the tractor is restored and running so the children are able to experience the satisfaction felt in the completion of the process than to cover every step, but at the end of the year the project is not yet completed.

Assuring completion of the project by years end outweighs the painting part of the job to me. Painting at the expense of completion of the job is not a worthwhile trade to me. I will admit it would be great for the kids to experience the paint end too but if completion of the tractor is questionable then the benefit of painting is worth just so much less than the actual completion.

But that is just me.....

• Like 1

1989520HC

Really GREAT thing you are doing. It reminds me of my shop class days. To this day 30 years later I am still very good friends with my shop teacher. A couple things I remember was him starting up a 265 Chevy V-8 in the class room. The flames shot out as he would rev up the motor on a engine stand. The other thing is the first day of class every year. He would get out this huge chunk of hair and tell the story how this kid lost it in the metal lathe.

This looks like a really great project. Those skills will last a lifetime for those kids. They are learning things that only hands-on can teach.I give you TWO THUMBS UP!!!!

• Like 1

whfan74

Yesterday was a monumental day for the Tractor Club. 

Last night I was able to attend, and present, the school board meeting.  In order for the new building to be started it must go through the proper protocols and have the donation accepted by the school board as a formality.  Though most just breeze through without any opposition, we were somewhat nervous that we would have to come back with more details as it would be a building that would be placed on the school property.  I can understand their reasoning to keep the property looking clean and pleasing to the eye. 

After many different topics were discussed during the meeting it was time to address the club building.  They asked me to come forward and share what was happening with our project.  The overwhelming support and smiles that I received were amazing.  I still feel like this whole thing is very surreal and hoping that no one will pinch me to wake me up from this dream.  I did not get asked one detail about the building itself but they were all very eager to hear about what the kids are doing.  Needless to say I was on cloud 9 last night as I left the administration building.

So good news is............WE ARE APPROVED!  Now the building can commence as I do the leg work to get things prepared....ie electric, permits, site work, etc...

I am so thankful for all of those that have made this project a huge blessing to these kids.  No matter what you have offered up to the group, it is an amazing gesture and one that is very much appreciated!!!!!

Unfortunately there will be no club meeting tomorrow night due to the cold weather and no place to work.  The good news is...........that will be changing soon!  :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year to all of you from the Harrison Elementary Garden Tractor Club!

• Like 5

953 nut

:woohoo:   Scott, If I wasn't so far away I would love to be a part of your team.  :text-goodpost: 

lt230s

Glad to hear you got approval. Now hopefully all goes as smooth with the permitting process.

Good luck and keeps us informed!

whfan74

The surprises just keep on coming for these kids! 

Just received this goody box in the mail here at school and will be passing out these awesome t-shirts and hats to the kids tonight.  They have no idea what is in store for them and I will try and capture some expressions once they receive them.

A big thank you to Ron Greco and Edward Palmer for wanting to do this for the kids.  What an amazing gesture of kindness.

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!!!

post-919-0-33968000-1387384827_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Uncle Buck

That gift box is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

WOW!    :wwp:

Pink with flames, wait til the girls see those hats...

talk about inspiring them. :bow-blue: Incredible gesture there

I betting them boys will be jealous.   :ychain:  

• Like 1

whfan74

Well the big reveal happened and they were amazed!!!!

I still am in awe of everything that has taken place. I can't believe what this has turned into. We are all blessed and very thankful.

Here are two pictures of the kids in their new duds! Unfortunately a couple were missing due to sickness/appointments.

They couldn't believe that complete strangers to them wanted to do this for them.

The first picture is what I requested and the second one shows their true personalities. :) They are a bunch of goof balls!

post-919-0-95162200-1387416028_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-93762900-1387416059_thumb.jpg

As far as I know this will be the last update of 2013. That is if we don't receive any more unexpected surprises. What a ride this has been so far. Looking forward to updating in January 2014!

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Harrison Elementary Garden Tractor Club!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Man! That is so awesome Scott.   :bow-blue: 

Truly makes me want to never "grow up."  

:text-merryxmas:  

• Like 1

1maidenfan

:woohoo:   :happy-jumpeveryone:   SO AWESOME!!!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :occasion-santa:

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

Scott, I love the group pics with the kids proudly wearing their wh gear... I wear mine proudly as well. And I do agree with all the recent comments. This thread is great reading. As for time constraints, you really do need to break down completion of all stages right up to the very last club meeting. If you need to take shortcuts such as sandblasting and powdercoating, that is what you have to do. Nothing wrong with outsourcing some of the work. Those are processes you can explain to the kids that are much different than hand sanding and painting but can produce beautifully restored parts as well. There are alternative processes to what they have actually experienced that can be time saving when undergoing any restoration project. The bottom line is to have all parts ready for assembly by X date. Final stages of assembly will be the most proud moments for your kids and I am sure for you as well. So enjoy the rest of this ride. It will be a most special time these kids will remember for the rest of their lives. Scott, best wishes to you and your family for a Merry Christmas and a truly Happy New Year!!!

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 2