Sign in to follow this  
brianc423

My amber beacon lights blinks too fast

brianc423

So with the tractor off, the beacon blinks at I think about 4 flashes per second, which is perfect, but once the tractor is running, the beacon flashes probably double that, which basically makes the beacon look like it is on steady and not flashing. What is causing this and how can I fix this?

I have a fuse off the +terminal which connects to a switch, then the switch connects to 12v plug adapter pos end, the neg end connects to frame for ground. then the beacon just plugs into the 12v plug. (hopefully ya understand how it is wired).

This is the beacon l bought. http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C48AW-Emergency-Strobe-Beacon-1/dp/B004L035UW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377363283&sr=8-3&keywords=beacon+light

Thank you in advance for the help.

Edited by brianc423

Wyattrrp

I had the identical issue and guys on this site solved the problem for me.  read this thread and see the solution that worked for me from Save Old Iron.  Meadowfield was spot on saying it was the electrical noise from the engine sending a false trigger to the flasher circuit telling it to fire too often  Mine was a simple soldering of a capacitor across the two wire leads of the flasher inside, so static or magnetic fields surrounding the engine while running basicaly are sent to ground, instead of to the trigger circuit, while the circuit functions as designed. Read this entire thread and see if this is your same solution.  All I needed was a $2-3 capacitor. yours may vary.  The simple test is to plug it into a car while off and running to see if it acts like you say, slow when off and too fast when car running.  Cars have beeter filtering and less electrical noise from the engine compared to a WH.

Wyatt

brianc423

I had the identical issue and guys on this site solved the problem for me.  read this thread and see the solution that worked for me from Save Old Iron.  Meadowfield was spot on saying it was the electrical noise from the engine sending a false trigger to the flasher circuit telling it to fire too often  Mine was a simple soldering of a capacitor across the two wire leads of the flasher inside, so static or magnetic fields surrounding the engine while running basicaly are sent to ground, instead of to the trigger circuit, while the circuit functions as designed. Read this entire thread and see if this is your same solution.  All I needed was a $2-3 capacitor. yours may vary.  The simple test is to plug it into a car while off and running to see if it acts like you say, slow when off and too fast when car running.  Cars have beeter filtering and less electrical noise from the engine compared to a WH.

Wyatt

I checked out that thread, I have my cousin (who works for Radio Shack) picking up the capacitors tomorrow for me.

I just have a question for you. did you also buy the blazer C48AW emergency strobe beacon? I saw in your photos, that you have 64 LEDs. I bought this item (link in my previous post), says it has 64 LEDs, received the item, and there was only 36 LEDs in the strobe.

Wyattrrp

No

I bought the one shown in the thread.  LED with coiled cord and the signal from the firing of the ignition on the WH C-125 sent out an electrical field that obviously did the same thing yours seems to be doing.  The 0.01 Capacitor soldered across the input wires solved the issue, grounding out the "static" picked up by the long coiled wire and giving the circuit a false "fire" signal to flash. I bought mine at the TSC store with a magnet on the bottom I assume to stick it to the roof of a plow truck and plug into a cigar plug inside the vehicle. All I know is this solved the same issue. Once the 0.01 Capacitor was soldered in across the battery input power feed wires the issue stopped.

You can wait for others to chime in. My problem was solved and I am grateful fo the forum guys who talked me thru the issue and solved it. As they said, if another dollar or 2 were put into the oiginal strobe design it would never be an issue.  BTW I paid $25 for my light at TSC even if I have twice the number of LED lights.

Worked on the 312 with Magnum but not the older C=125.  You did not mention what tractor or motor you have it on?

Wyatt

brianc423

Sorry about that. I have it on a 1985 310-8 with a Kohlr k241s if memory serves me right on engine model

brianc423

My LED strobe looks just like the one you have, only difference is I have 6 columns of 6 LEDs, for a total of only 36 LEDs

Wyattrrp

Did your cousin get the 0.01 Uf Capacitor and try soldering it across the input power feeds?  So the stray elec feed is gounded and the false fire trigger is non=functional?

brianc423

Sorry. I got this taken care of last week. I only had to solder the capacitor across the + and - and it works like a charm now. Thank you for the help!