Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

OK to Chem Dip?

rmaynard

I have to admit that I have never seen a carburetor come out of a can of Berryman's looking like that.

• Like 1

buckrancher

I have to admit that I have never seen a carburetor come out of a can of Berryman's looking like that.

me nether and i've done over a dozen

but like i said you should try a dirty one

Edited by buckrancher

Jeff-C175

I think Craig is :ychain:

That's a NEW carb!  :laughing-rofl:

leeave96

I soaked a ratty looking #30 carb in Berrymans for a couple of hours and it came out looking like those pics - I was amazed.

Wish I'd found it years ago.

Bill

cheesegrader

Well, it LOOKS much better, but does it work?

The smallest openings make the difference, and it seems like you have to clean them out two or three times to make a difference,

even if it looks clean.

squonk

With the new stuff, a couple of days in the juice then a wire brush session will get it looking like that. The last 3 I did all came out looking good in the end. Old stuff 2 hrs and a water rinse with no elbow grease.

buckrancher

take a new carb and paint it

years later remove the paint and what do you have

a new looking carb unfortunataly thats not the part that needs cleaning I can do the same thing with a can of paint stripper

thats still not cleaning a carb. How the outside looks has no bearing on how the inside works and thats the important part

Brian

MalMac

I have taken in the past straight Sea Foam and put it in a squirt oil can and forced it into the passages and small areas and let it set and do it again. Then used super small wire to poke and prod the squirt again then flush and blow with compressed air.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Mounted the rebuilt carb up on one of my back up motors today...

has a crisp, snappy throttle response, and a nice smooth idle too.  

:text-woo:  I'll give two thumbs up for the Berryman's.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

post-3498-0-75991000-1377463211_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-62041600-1377463250_thumb.jp

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Crap!

Your backup motor looks better than any of my regular ones, and now it appears that it runs better, too!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Actually, it the back up for my back up that is the ultimate project here...

and currently, this one is producing no spark at the plug.       :confusion-helpsos:

post-3498-0-70000100-1377469850_thumb.jp

buckrancher

well like I said start with a clean carb get a clean glad to see everything worked out for you

I thought I may have to let you in on what I use that will  actually clean a  dirty carb in less than an hour

but I see it's not necessary you seem too have a good bead on things

Brian

tunahead72

Brian,

You can tell the rest of us, we won't tell Craig... :popcorn:

• Like 2

546cowboy

You can drop that float in a coffee can filled with water, if it's still floating in an hour or so you should be OK. Man that carb looks GOOD!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That NC worked so good, I decided to drop another of my clean ones in last night. 

Any ideas how can I get the flywheel off without having a puller on hand?     :dunno:

post-3498-0-53466400-1377858571_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-18287900-1377858596_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-25940600-1377858621_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-89208600-1377858650_thumb.jp

Hodge71

You can drop that float in a coffee can filled with water, if it's still floating in an hour or so you should be OK. Man that carb looks GOOD!

Lynn,

I was always told that you cant use water. It has a greater surface tension then gasoline and its possible to float in water but put it in gas and it will fill up with fuel and sink like a stone. I personally have never tried water because of this. I wonder id the old guy that taught me about carbs was wrong? 

AMC RULES

Bob was right, latest carb came out of the bath a little darker than the first one...

was in the bath for a day and a half this time...still cleaned up much better than before though.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

:woohoo:  Got another K91 going today...removed the flywheel, visually inspected the coil, condenser, both looked fine.

Removed the points cover...ahhh...there's the problem, full of white, crusty corrosion.

Got 'em cleaned up, and adjusted...mounted up the freshly cleaned carb, fired off on the second pull...

keep this up, and I'm gonna have to piece together another round hood soon.     :)

post-3498-0-00442600-1377988734_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-34992400-1377988768_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-14928700-1377988803_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-88329300-1377988860_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-09619000-1377988900_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-91378900-1377988919_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-00435100-1377988973_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Sycoticca

Is that new brass parts (float, Needles etc.) or is that the old ones cleaned up???

Edited by Sycoticca
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

All brass parts are the cleaned, originals.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

The products used on 'em are shown in the picts. 

jrc0528

I test floats using HOT water.  Hold the float with long needlenose pliers and quickly dunk it into the hot water.  The heat causes the air inside the float to expand and pressurize slightly, enough to leak and create a stream of air bubbles if there are any leaks in the float!

Same trick can be used to empty a sunken float..  just dunk it several times with the leak at the bottom, the pressure will push the gas out...  dip, pause, remove & cool, repeat.  Keep repeating the cycle until the float is empty.  Then get some good solder and patch up the leaks!

Edited by jrc0528
  • Like 1