Sign in to follow this  
hudog

New Redsquare member in SE Minnesota

hudog

Hello-

My name is George, and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in SE Minnesota, and have been interested in in Wheel Horse tractors. I recently bought a 1970 Charger 8V as a starter.... not real pretty, and it has a the original electric start Tecumseh (according to the Toro model / sn website) was previously replaced with a B&S pull start.

I have a 3/4 acre lot to mow with some steep hills, so I'm looking for a bigger tractor to handle this sort of terrain.... but I couldn't hardly say no to the Charger as a starter.

I do have a question. What are people's thoughts on sling lube vs. pressure lube on hilly terrain? If running sling lube, are the engines typically designed to lube better going straight up and down hills vs mowing sideways, or is that dependent on how the specific engine was designed?

thanks,

George

T-Mo

George,

B) I'm glad you found us here. We have a couple of Minnesota members and I know they're having a show this weekend - see here.

As for mowing hills, I think anytime you can avoid them will help the engine. I guess it depends on how steep the hill and how long you're on it. I do mow some side hills, but I do believe up and down would be easier on the engine. But, I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV. I would also be interested to hear what the more knowledgeable members have to say.

Again welcome to the site.

pond195520032003

Hi George and :whistle: you came to the right place for info and Joel another member will be replying tou your questions later B) as always B)

Teddy da Bear

B)

So glad you could join us.

bustedglass

Hi, and :whistle: . Just for safety sake, ALWAYS mow up and down on hills. I have rolled my tractor over Three (3) times B) , while going sideways on hills. Think I would have learned after the first time, would'nt you B) .

WH854

Howdy :whistle: When you buy a riding lawnmower the supply you with an

owners manual that states any grade over 45 degrees is dangerous.Down

hill is safer. Again B)

Chas from Butler Pa B)

linen beige

B)

Mowing side to side on a hill or bank of any steepness is just plain :imstupid:

I don't know if tilting the engine sideways so many degrees is any more dangerous than the same number of degrees fore or aft, (depends too much on the shape of the oil pan and block.) but the added risks of going side to side make that question a moot point.