Sign in to follow this  
bell

working the 876

bell

In case you haven't seen it, this is my 1966 876 that my grandpa gave to me... I can't get over how original it is... It has been re-painted at some point, but it was obviously done with love...

876_004.jpg

876_005.jpg

876_002.jpg

I aired up the tires when I brought it home last week... and they're STILL UP! B)

bell

Today, I did some much needed maintenance... I changed the drive belt and the belt that powers the deck.

Also, I drained the transaxle and changed the fluid/ filter... WOW what a difference! I was a little concerned about the hydro... before... but now, this thing pulls HARD and shows no sign of weakness!

I think I have a new favorite... anybody wanna buy a suburban? J/K lol B)

876_006.jpg

And here is a pic of it doing what it is supposed to be doing... :whistle: :horseplay:

876_007.jpg

bell

This thing runs BEAUTIFULLY!

However, there is one problem that I found with the help of TT's advice...

There is a leak in the hydro.. After I removed the covers and cleaned the 40+ years of grass and sticks out of it, I could see where it is coming from. The seal on the direction control shaft... on the front of the pump is leaking... I am told that this seal is NLA... But there is another "brand" seal that will work. Anybody have a part number???

Or, could I remove the seal... take it to napa or a hydraulic shop... Could they find a replacement by looking at the old one or by measuring the shaft/ orfice?

Also, how would I go about changing it?

Luckily, it is not leaking HORRIBLY, it's just a slow drip when you've been doing a lot of forward/ backward movement....

I plan on tearing the tractor down and doing a full resto this winter, so I would like to fix the leak then...

Thank you for any input, JB

DOC in Kentucky

Good luck with your project B)

They are all special but its even better when it given by someone in the family and you know it had special meaning to them.

I don't have my Grandpa's Wheel Horse but I do have the same model he had when I was a young un' growing up and I can remember the first day he let me drive it. After that I looked forward to Saturday monings of going to Grandpa's and cutting his grass for him. He never knew what an addition he started. Now I look forward to passing mine down to my now 3 year old Grandson, who looks forward to coming to Papa's house and playing on the " horses with wheels"

WheelHorse_of_course

B) hat last pic is a beautiful thing B)

Congrats on getting her going! :horseplay:

All these horses *really* need is TLC :whistle:

Stigian

Good to see you have got your 'orse up and running B)

I quite like it's "lived in" look, if it was mine i might be tempted to fix the leak and leave the rest "as is"..

Or is that just me shying away from work :whistle: