Sign in to follow this  
RedMaine

Help removing a steering wheel on a 520xi

RedMaine

I need to remove my steering wheel.  I removed the center cover, removed the nut (at least backed it off), sprayed PB blaster..  but cannot get the wheel loose..  tried a wheel puller, but after putting a lot of torque on the puller, decided that there must be a mechanical connection that I cannot see. 

I do not see a pin, or a removable collar...  Any ideas??  Thanks!!

Mark

Don1977

I look at the assemble drawings it's a spline shaft.
Keep soaking it with PB Blaster, are you using a steering wheel puller to keep from damaging  the plastic wheel.

A sharp tap on the puller bolt will sometime jar them loose.

• Like 1

RedMaine

Keep soaking it with PB Blaster, are you using a steering wheel puller to keep from damaging  the plastic wheel.

I only have a 2 arm puller, so I am not getting a good straight line on the puller.  The existing wheel is broken, so I am not too concerned about damaging the plastic.. It has been soaking for a week!!  I did tap the puller a few times, but with in not being directly in line, I am sue it is not 100% effective.. 

Thanks for your help!!  Mark

RedMaine

I got it off, but it was a bear.. The three prong puller was spread open by the wheel itself, and the puller arms wrecked the plastic..  I had to cut the wheel off the hub and then it eventually came off!  Not what I was hoping for, but had to replace the wheel anyway!.. 

buckrancher

besure to use some anti-seze on the new one

RedMaine

Sorry, I just saw this post.. I bought a puller, and then ended up renting one with more arms.  It is a bear, and yes, you wreck the old wheel.. maybe the thing to do is to make a plate that slides under the hub and had atttachment points for the puller..

doc724

I just looked at the xi service manual.  There seems to be some special puller tool that they use.  The puller tool does not have arms but looks easy to make one.  Similar in operation to the hub pulling tools that many of us have made.  Download of the service manual is free at Toro.com