Sign in to follow this  
steve k

Limited slip differential info wanted

steve k

Hi all, I just tore apart the six speed in a raider 12.  Looks like at some point the dipstick broke off and got involved with things!!   Any way I am replacing parts as needed.   I discovered it has a 10 pinion??  limited slip differential.   Are these any good or nothing but trouble?   It seems like its fine I was just curious about it as I never saw one before. 

Sparky

They have a reputation among the pulling crowd as being a weak tranny but for a guy just mowing and maybe plowing snow I would think they are just fine. Never owned one before but I would have the think they are better in the snow than the standard "one legger" in my Black Hoods.

Mike..........

daveoman1966

1973 was the last year for the Raiders and 1974 was the last year for the 10-pinion LSD used in C-160s and the like.  There are lots more parts in the LSD over the 8-pinion which would carry, of course, more cost to mfg.  The 8-pinion is probably more robust than the 10-pinion but I like the LSD in tractor for snow push as it won't spin out on one wheel...they both will have to spin.  This is, of course, IMHO and others will opine their views.

Lemme know if you need parts for the Raider 12 gearbox, or other stuff too.

my direct email is:  daveoman@windstream.net  and I am in the n/w corner PA at zip 16433.       

pfrederi

I used my Electro 12 with the limited slip for snowplowing last year. It was impressive compared to the C series I had used in prior years.

207672269798012.jpg

click to enlarge

Edited by pfrederi

sorekiwi

Since all the limited slip ability comes from that little spring collar thingy in the middle (which are NLA), and it is a high wear part, I doubt that there are many trannies around that perform like they used to 40 years ago.  My 1267 has spun both rear wheels at the same time on occasions but I doubt there is a huge performance difference between the 10 pinion and the 8 pinion.

The pinions themselves in the 8 (and 4) pinion diff are bigger and stronger than the ones in the 10 pinion.

Obviously I don't know how good a 10 pinion diff was when they were new.  In my opinion, the best gripping differential is the spider gear type from the 1054's 1276's etc.  Despite not being an LSD at all they work absolutely great in snow, ice and slush.  But they are the weakest diff of them all, and everyone of them that I have pulled out of a transmission has had at least some broken/cracked parts.

steve k

Thanks for the replies so far and for the email Dave.  The only broken part I found was the high low shift fork which I welded back together. None of the teeth are broken off the gears. I had water in it so some of the bearings are getting replaced with all the seals.   I am not going to work in very hard, this tractor was quite molested over the years so I was going to put one of my small hit and miss engines on it and drive it around at shows.  The high low will work good because depending how the engine sits on the frame the belt will either be on the three inch flat belt pulley or around the twenty inch flywheel which will change input speed drastically.  Maybe I'll post pics.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Maybe I'll post pics.

You better!

leeave96

All I know is that the 10 pinion tranny with limited slip sounds interesting.  I mow a lot of hills and use ag tires to overcome traction issues.  I don't think I would moldboard plow with a 10 pinion tranny.  I owned a Raider 9, but never ran it.  I think it had the 10 pinion tranny in it.  The tractor met it's end as a parts tractor.  For mowing, pushing snow, pulling a cart full of firewood, I wouldn't hesitate to give one a try.

Good luck,

Bill

formariz

I used my Electro 12 with the limited slip for snowplowing last year. It was impressive compared to the C series I had used in prior years.

207672269798012.jpg

click to enlarge

Is that correct? I never knew or realized that the Electro 12 had a limited slip. :confusion-confused:

207672269798012.jpg

click to enlarge

Is that correct? I never knew or realized that the Electro 12 had a limited slip. :confusion-confused:

steve k

I wondered the same thing. Did electro 12 have limited slip?

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk 2

steve k

Here are some pictures. the bent rod on the gears is the dipstick!

post-8332-0-88364100-1376264134_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-70259700-1376264176_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-67071000-1376264235_thumb.jp

pfrederi

207672269798012.jpg

click to enlarge

207672269798012.jpg

click to enlarge

Parts Manual 1-7245p shows 10 pinions and a cylindrical spring and she acts like she has limited slip.... Over the years she lost her chrome hubcaps and the electric PTO must have died and been replaced with a manual

Hodge71

So I guess my "new" '74 C-160 has this 10 pinion limited slip differential? Or is it different because of the 8 speed?...I'm lost now....lol

Edited by hodge71

gwest_ca

So I guess my "new" '74 C-160 has this 10 pinion limited slip differential? Or is it different because of the 8 speed?...I'm lost now....lol

You should have a model 5091 transmission with 8-pinion differential used 1973-1976.

It replaced the 5073 10-pinion used 1970-1973.

Garry