Sign in to follow this  
CenPennGuy

Winter Project Cont.

CenPennGuy

I got everything cleaned up on the C-160. Carb cleaned, new battery, gas tank cleaned, new oil ect.... Now .... for the the BIG moment.....the solenoid just clicks once when I turn the key. <_< Where do I start with in my trouble shooting exercise? Could I jump the battery directly to the starter?? I don't want to short anything out, but I do want to get to the bottom of the problem before replacing every electrical under the hood.

Thanks for your input.

Rob

nylyon

How I usually go about these issues starts with a pair of jumper cables. Connect the positive battery to the battery side of the solenoid, and the negative to a good engine ground. Then, with a wire, screw driver, pliers.... jump the small terminal in the solenoid to the hot lead on the solenoid. If it turns, then disconnect the positive cable and try again. If it works, disconnect the ground (a usual suspect in many of my cases) and try again.

This will help isolate the problem area. If the first test doesn't work then the solenoid is suspect. You can try to touch the positive jumper cable to the starter side of the solenoid. If it cranks, the solenoid is bad.

Hope this doesn't come off as rambling as I think it does.... I've seen a lot of issues with bad grounds, so tighetn every connection.

Rollerman

I have a C 100 I'm working on now that I'm haveing similiars problems with...believe it's a starter issue.

Just groans when I hit the switch.

I've done the same things you have Rob.

A good ground like Karl said is a big culprit in weak solenoid/starter issues.

See what Karls trick will do for you Rob.

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

I fiddled for a month with my 310 on an electrical problem. I'm not sure how many interlocks, if any, are on a C series. The 300 series like mine has one in the seat, the PTO, the clutch pedal, and the tranny. Ended up being one I missed- the low oil switch in the oil pan. It was bad. :P

I hate electrical problems!

Karl is dead-on the spot with what he's telling you. He should be writing instruction manuals for people like me. I need all the help I can get with electrical problems.

And I work on electronics for a living? Good grief! :D

Good luck!

Kevin