Sign in to follow this  
sollander

restoring 1972 tractor - need a rectifier

sollander

Need rectifier for 1972 wheel horse.  If we're looking in the right place the Model #103909, Serial #58202.  Can anyone direct me where to start looking?  Thanks!

rmaynard

:WRS:

How about posting a picture of the tractor. That will be a help. The number is not correct. Closest combination I can come up with is a 1-0390, which is a 1974 C-100. If that is what you have, a used rectifier can usually be found on eBay, or a new one (101450) is available from your local Toro dealer. An aftermarket unit can be found on eBay and other venues with a part number of R10297.

• Like 1

sollander

Thanks for reply!  Will go check number again.  I don't know how to post a picture - will see what I can figure out. 

sollander

I checked the serial number again - yes, it's 1-0390 and it's a C-100  8 speed.  If I ever figure out how to post a picture I will.  It's been parked under a tarp for a couple of years ever since it caught fire.  I was going to haul it to a metal recycling place but then a friend looked it over and the fire was due to a small gas leak in the front of the engine.  Nothing was damaged except the headlights are a little melted.  We cleaned it up, got a new battery, rebuilt the carburetor, changed filters, replaced wiring.  Everything checks out okay, it turns over, except it just won't start.  Took the rectifier off and the electronic board thingy is broken and corroded.  I'm mechanically challenged, but this teenage kid who has done all the work on it is pretty sharp at fixing engines.  It's been his summer project.  I love that little tractor - it has an awesome rototiller.  Hope I can find the part and get it fixed.  Thanks for all your help.

Martin

the rectifier, although it sounds like it needs replacing, won't stop it from starting. you say it turns over but just wont start. the rectifier/regulator will charge the battery and regulate charge, but it sounds like you are missing something else for it to start.

do you have spark at the spark plug while turning over? gas is present in the carb bowl and is getting sucked into the engine while its turning over?

sounds like since you have rebuilt the carb, that maybe gas is not making it through, these gas systems won't  pull gas very well from the tank, pressurize the tank to get the gas up into the carb if the bowl isnt full. then pull the spark plug and check the spark while turning over.

while i no doubt think the rectifier needs replacing, from what you described its toast, but if you dont have spark and fuel in the combustion chamber theres going to be no starting......

• Like 1