Sign in to follow this  
bizzo15

I've got Horse fever!! School me on attachments

bizzo15

I just picked up a WH 312-8 last week and got to mow with it the first time today and I absolute love it!!!  The previous owner of the house mowed the lawn on the highest setting on his zero turn, which was a little too tall for my tastes so I dropped my 42" RD deck into the 3rd slot and started mowing and she handled it like a hot knife through butter.

Anyways it got me thinking about how the house I bought has a much smaller driveway than my previous one and how I'd like to get a snow blower for the wheel horse and sell the plow setup off my truck.  The problem is I can't seem to locate any good places to buy these darn things.  I've been scouring craigslist is my area but there's nothing around, maybe as winter gets closer?  How do most of you guys acquire your implements?

I've heard that almost any blower from the mid 70's C series 300 400 and 500 will work so it's seems like there should be an abundance of them out there.  What's the most desirable one to get though?  I'm thinking because it's a 12HP tractor i'm only going to want a single stage and 42" would be a good size.  Also I hear lot of talk about making sure the blower has everything with it when you buy it.  What exactly is "everything"?  Last thing i want to do is think I got a good deal on one and find out it's missing some rare/extinct/super expensive piece to make it work.

Another implement I want to acquire by next year is a tiller so I can start a garden.  Anything special I should know about them when I start looking?  Seems like there are so many useful implements/attachments for these tractors but they are hard to come by.

Also how's the aftermarket on attachments and such?  Seems like all I see is wheel horse branded stuff(not that it's a bad thing) I just thought it might be easier to find some aftermarket made stuff.

Anyways thanks for any input/advice you may have.

-Matt

Trouty56

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum....

Just keep looking....If you are from central NY there are a couple guys there that may have what you are looking for....a member named Duane has lots of stuff...  What you are looking to get with the blower are the ....the lift tube and flag combo....the tube is about 3 feet long...the flag fits in the end....this setup pushes the snowblower up and lets it down.  Once you see it you will know.  There are threads on here that have pictures and how and where to attach it....Might want to be on the lookout for a tall chute model.  These blowers are really about 32 inches wide and there are side shields that increase the width to 42 and a top piece also to increase the height so be sure those are present also.....

squonk

Hi Matt. Where in N.Y. are you? Yes Duane (Bearpath has lots of stuff or wait until next year and attend the Wheel Horse show in PA and you'll find everything you need! :):thumbs:

AMC RULES

Try placing a wanted ad for the attachments you're looking for...

in the classified section here on  :rs:

Edited by Pikov Andpopoff

bizzo15

Hi Matt. Where in N.Y. are you? Yes Duane (Bearpath has lots of stuff or wait until next year and attend the Wheel Horse show in PA and you'll find everything you need! :):thumbs:

I'm in upstate ny about 40 minutes north of Syracuse but I'd be willing to travel for the right deal. As far as the show goes I don't know if I can wait until next year to get a blower we get dumped on pretty hard with lake effect snow here and lugging the plow around on the truck can be a pain. I definitely want to try and get to the show and check out all the horses. I'll have to PM Duane and see if he can help me out. Thanks!

groundhog47

Say Matt, don't want to beat this to  death as you have good info malready, but if you would like to know what all models fit, look in manuals, implements misc items and find the attachment interchange pdf chart =  good info. In fact all the manuals are good info. I'll come back and edit with a link, but double dozens of manuals there. 

Edited by groundhog47

bizzo15

Say Matt, don't want to beat this to  death as you have good info malready, but if you would like to know what all models fit, look in manuals, implements misc items and find the attachment interchange pdf chart =  good info. In fact all the manuals are good info. I'll come back and edit with a link, but double dozens of manuals there. 

Thanks groundhog that will help me when searching the net and they only list the model # at least now I'll know for sure if it's compatible.  Thanks!

IthacaJeff

Matt:

With the amount of snow you get up there, the blower is a better idea than a blade. You will find a lot

of items here in central NY, but you may just be out of season. I've got a blower I tried to sell, but it was

in a little rough shape. Needs the lift tube & flag, but the auger spins freely. I've still got the blower and

it is just taking up room. If you can't find one and are itchin' to get something hooked up, and are willing

to drive about an hour south of Syracuse, then send me off an email. 

Jeff

• Like 1

bizzo15

Matt:

With the amount of snow you get up there, the blower is a better idea than a blade. You will find a lot

of items here in central NY, but you may just be out of season. I've got a blower I tried to sell, but it was

in a little rough shape. Needs the lift tube & flag, but the auger spins freely. I've still got the blower and

it is just taking up room. If you can't find one and are itchin' to get something hooked up, and are willing

to drive about an hour south of Syracuse, then send me off an email. 

Jeff

Jeff,

I may just take you up on that if nothing else pans out.  Problem is I bet the lift tube and flag are doubly hard to find!  Glad to see there's some fellow central new yorker's on here as well!

can whlvr

the tube and flag can be made or fabbed real easy,i have one pole made from a tbar from farm fencing,and the flag is just a 34 round stock welded to a peice of 14 plate in a triangle shape,if you need you can ask for dimensions here to fab one up,or ask in the classified section