Sign in to follow this  
Austin860

Tightening D series steering

Austin860

What do you guys suggest. Are there any screws/ bolts I should tighten?

Sparky

Its been awhile since I've done one but with the mower deck off you crawl under it and find the bottom of the steering box. There is a big castle type nut on the bottom, pull the pin out and tighten it. Only tighten it a wee bit, reinstall the pin and test it out. Still loose, do it again in small increments. You don't want to over tighten it!

This method worked for me on both of my D series.

Mike...........

• Like 1

Austin860

Much tighter! Thanks mike!

brandonozz

Thanks for the information Mike.  I was planning on doing some searching for the information as mine is a bit loose also - saved me some time!

pacer

Me too!! and I was just about to install my newly rebuilt deck. I had grumbled several times about my steering feeling like it was getting looser, but really didnt know what to look for -- or what to do. Now before I get the deck hung back I can slide under there and check it out...

Just another of the MANY reasons to follow the posts regularly, little gems like this tip could slip right by a fella. THANKS!

Edited by pacer

Rollerman

Another think to look at, D's have a bell crank between the steering box & the tie rods.

They tend to get worn at the pivot.

If it has a lot of slop a pack of shims from a farm supply store can be used to snug the bell crank up & this will also improve the feel of the D's steering.

brandonozz

While under there you may also want to check to make sure the two blots that hold the axle pivit pin secured to the frame are tight.  Mine were real loose and the only way to get to the nuts was to stick my arm up where the mower deck is and reach forward.  Unless you have a trailer queen expect to get greasy all the way up to the elbow!

• Like 1