Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

starter/generator stays running after i shut engine off

JUSS10

so i just finished rewiring my dads 854 and after mowing the lawn, i shut it off and it kept running. It was idling so slow and quietly i was really surprised, then it dawned on me, the starter is actually running. amp meter is way in the negative. I pulled the generator wire that goes from the regulator to the amp meter, it was really hot and the starter shut off as soon as i pulled it off. 

So few questions. what would cause the generator to keep running? is there something wrong with the regulator? What gauge wire should i be running from the regulator to the amp meter, then from the amp meter to the battery?

Thanks!

Justin

Martin

I think one of the contact points in the regulator is sticking. Pull the cover and watch what happens when you start it. You will find the culprit. probably is continually on the starter all the time as its running..

Should be able to run 14 ga wire and be ok, but 12 on all start/ charge circuits is what I use....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin

diesel cowboy

I had that happen on my old car. Turned out the contacts in the voltage regulator stayed closed making spin.  A couple taps with a screw driver handle made it stop.  You probably can take the cover off the regulator and try sanding the contacts like you would for the points and that might help.  As for the wire I think its around a 12 gauge.  Not positive on that someone else here probably knows for sure.  Hope this helps.     Stewart

wp205a

Just rewired? Check to be sure you rewired correctly.

buckrancher

stuck voltage regulator

JUSS10

its wired right. was doing this before i re wired it. 

If the regulator is stuck, what do i need to do to fix that? does something need to filed down or cleaned?

gwest_ca

This is the only Kohler manual I have seen that covers the starter/generator

Garry

• Like 1

buckrancher

If the regulator is stuck, what do i need to do to fix that? does something need to filed down or cleaned?

buy a new voltage regulator

Martin

its wired right. was doing this before i re wired it. 

you could try and free the points, but the best choice is to buy a new reg. search ebay, just be sure you get the correct one because there are different styles and models. i got a new one when i did my 1057 rebuild, best $30-$40 i spent, all setup and ready to go and no messing around with air gaps and adjusting, what a pita that is..........

i will search my ebay history and try and track down what i got....

search this one, i think from memory this is the one i used.....

there is two regulators with curved mounts you want the one with the armature terminal on the bottom and the outside terminals of the three are angled out.

Delco Remy Generator Voltage Regulator 12 Volt New

Edited by Martin

Martin

they are available from a couple different sellers, just make sure they have the 4th terminal on the bottom of the regulator and its curved mount........