Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Possible C-160 Conversion

MaineDad

OK guys here's a question. I cannot seem to fix this dang leak in the hydro transmission. I hate leaks and I'm getting to dislike these hydros! I have found a 70's C-160 8 Speed tranny and partial parts tractor for $100. Can I swap out the hydro with the 8 speed? The parts tractor has belt guard and all of the manual lift components. I'm just thinking... B)

nylyon

I don't see why not. If the 8-speed is on a frame with the brake and clutch pedal's you could probably just move what you need from the auto onto the 8-speed.

WheelHorse_of_course

Micah,

I think you need to use a (the?) hydro for long enough to understand what makes then worthwile. I am pretty sure the bulk of your seat time is doing ag related tasks where a steady speed is a real advantage.

On the other hand, mowing yards, snow plowing, and certain other tasks can be much easier and more efficient with a hydro. Besides, don't you have a hydro lift on that C-160?

I understand you feel you are B)B) but it would seem you are very close to the end of these problems!

As to your question, I have no idea :banghead: but I suspect it would be a fairly straightforward conversion.

BTW, have you spoken with Joes about the bad tow valve and leaking? Seems worth a shot to "inquire". I can't recall but I don't remember them claiming most items are AS IS. B)

Best of luck buddy! B) :whistle:

MaineDad

Karl,

Does your Hydro leak at all? I've tried everything but resurfacing the ends with no success.

nylyon

Now if you did decide to get rid of all that pesky hydraulic stuff, I would be interested in discussing what to do abouth that hydraulic valve on there....

and... no neither of my hydro's leak. The C-160 has a leak at the lift cylinder and the big honking lift valve, but the trans itself is clean. The 416 is leak free.

wh500special

It might be less work to swap the engine from the auto over to the 8-spd. Not that is a complicated job either way, but I think there are fewer parts to move this way.

Also, I think the autos and 8spds used different size transmission drive pulleys...been a while that I compared them, but I think they are different.

Good luck,

Steve