Sign in to follow this  
timo4352

310-8 belt / pulley guard

timo4352

I just got my new to me Wheel Horse 310-8 home yesterday.

I've got a question for y'all about the belt guard. It seems to me that the pulleys should have a nut to hold them on the threaded shaft. And maybe a second nut to hold the guard on - no?

I've run the tractor this way (without the guard) and cut the grass and the pulleys stay on there fine - or maybe I just got lucky.

Can anyone tell or show me how this all should be put together? Does anyone have pics of theirs to share?, or a pic from a parts breakdown should work too.

I've attached a couple pics to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks much for your help.

Tim

9423841109_86d6c8b6bd_z.jpg

9423841167_f76960b91f_z.jpg

can whlvr

yes you are missing the nut,the pullies just slide on, but  they  rust on over time,get a nut and youre good to go

tunahead72

Hi Tim,

I think you've been lucky ... so far.

Like Don said, you're missing the nut that holds that whole assembly together, it threads onto the shaft after you put the cover back on.  I believe it's part number 915007 (3/4-16 Eslok nut), assuming you have one of the mower decks that was commonly available for the 310-8 in the mid-1980's.

You should also have a couple of spacers on that shaft, one between the pullies, and the other between the outer pulley and the cover.

Do you happen to know your tractor or mower model numbers?

You can try partstree.com for a parts breakdown.  You'll have to enter a mower deck model number, try 05-42MS05 to get started.

I would also recommend looking through the Manuals section of this forum, you'll probably find owner/service/parts manuals for your tractor, mower and engine.  Poke around a bit and let us know if you can't find something.

By the way, I can't tell for sure from your photos...  Your belt should fit inside the inner pulley, kind of the standard way we think of a V-belt fitting inside a pulley, and it should lay "upside down" or "flat" around the outer pulley.  If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the way the belt is routed between the PTO pulley, those two mule drive pullies, and the mower deck.

timo4352

Don & Ed

Thanks so much for getting me pointed in the right direction. As you know Partstree has a ton of pages to sift through, and Don you made it much easier for me than my just searching blindly for hours. I appreciate it. The PO had some of the pertainent numbers written down in the books, but not all. Now I've got that taken care of.

Thanks again

Tim

9429056634_668861fcd3_o.gif

Forest Road

Save yourself a few bucks. Try an auto parts store nut/bolt supply. It's just a nyloc nut and washers. There's nothing unique about it. Welcome to RS!

kaiser

i'm missing those same parts at the moment. the nut backed off and i ran over the cover. lost the nut and spacer in the lawn and the cover is trashed.

my pulley's are on there pretty good, but as soon as i have the $$ i'll be getting a replacement. so far so good though, i've mowed 4 times since it happend and it still works just fine. i do check it every so often to make sure the pulleys are still on there tight.

timo4352

The nut and spacer was only 8 or 9 doliars.

IIRC the guard was almost $50.

Maybe you can fix yours or find one from somebody here, I'm sure.