Sign in to follow this  
Jake Kuhn

4 speed to 8 speed conversion?

Jake Kuhn

Hey guys,

My b80 trans has been noisy ever since I got it, I was planning to rebuild it this summer. But after I ended up with this spare 8 speed I was thinking it might be a better and cheaper way to fix the noise, I won't have much into the 8 speed, maybe 75 bucks.

So my question is...what would I have to change to make it fit. Looking at it the only obvious difference I know I would need is the different shifter plate which I can get easily. What else needs modified or changed?

Thanks, Jake

jimt1971

Check the input pulley size it may need to changed. And the brake rod may need to be bent to fit.

Kelly

Only thing I can think of is the brake location, but with the right brake rod it should be a bolt in.

Wheel Horse Kid

We converted my 1045 from a 4 to 8 speed when we set it up for pulling (Probably would not have used it if I knew the 1045 was rare). Could not tell you all that was done as I was only 7 or so and grandpa did all the work, but I can tell you that it is a very fun conversion! :)  Good Luck!

snookman1

i have a 1974 b80 that  i swapped out the 4spd. for an 8spd. break rod was fine, in fact it was a direct swap on mine. should be the same for you. i have not done the shift plate because i can not find one, if you got one or the full size pattern that i could get let me know. i have a nice piece of stainless that i would like to transfer the pattern to.