Sign in to follow this  
brianc423

Building My Own Snow Cab

brianc423

Ok, So I am looking to buy a Snow Cab, but I am also considering building one if the price will be a little cheaper. I have decided that if I were to make it, I will use slotted angle iron for the frame. 

I bring it to Red Square to see who else may be able to loan me some ideas, tips, tricks, thoughts, suggestions, anything you may think I can find useful. I have a 1985 310-8 in mint original shape. I have manual lift arm. And the 56" plow has a wider stance on the right. I will post pics in about a week when I am home from vacation.

Thanks for all the help!   :greetings-waveyellow:

GlenPettit

Google:  Garden Tractor Snow Cab,  lots of ideas and pictures there also.

I believe these cabs are still manufactured today, but pricey. 

also:  http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/tractor-cab.htm   for $475, does fit your Wheel Horse.

Edited by GlenPettit

CasualObserver

Do some searches on keywords like homemade cab and snow cab.  There have been several homemade cabs built and discussed in the past with pictures.  Also, download a manual or two to review what the original configurations are.  That will help you design one to best fit your needs.

JC 1965

also:  http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/tractor-cab.htm   for $475, does fit your Wheel Horse.

That cab looks pretty neat. I would like to see a picture of one mounted on a Wheel Horse. I just wonder if you would have enough room to work the handle back and fourth that controls the direction ( right and left ) 0f the snow blade.   :dunno:

brianc423

Thank you. I have already done that actually. I spent the better part of 4 hours (or more, not sure...it was really late when i got done) last night researching. I found one guy, Bill, that posted his whole process with LOTS of pictures on another tractor forum. (I had no idea others existed.  :scared-notify: ) Anyway, the link to his his below. When I go and build this, if i decide to build, I will create a new thread on here and post pics and what i did just like Bill did, as well as have it all posted on my website that i'll disclose later.

www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=15654&page=2

• The biggest thing, I need to figure out how I will work around the blade pivot handle. The blade is a 56" off of a D-series, so the handle sticks out a little far from the tractor on the right. My tractor is a 1985 310-8....I love having the larger plow, works GREAT!...i will post pics of it in about a week when i return from vacation so you guys can get an idea of what I mean.
  • I want to have my cab a little different than Bill's. I will use clear vinyl shower curtain(cheaper) for rear and side windows instead, and plexisglass for just the front window so that way i can use a wiper blade down the road if i want/need to(and probably will use manual wiper, no motor). Usually wind isn't much an issue ever. 
  • Also, i am not sure if Bill's door(s) open on just the one side or if both sides open....I want both sides to open for versatility for what i do and where I live.
  • Also, for my front window/section, i want the option to easily remove it and keep it off for summer, or the ability to at least hinge upward to be able to open the hood when needed.
  • For attaching it to the rear of my tractor, i think i will do similar to the wood on the back to attach the angle iron, but i will have to think of a way to attach the back piece to the back of the tractor...its just a tad hard for me to think and really visualize without my tractor in front of me. Will make sure i take a pic of this too for ideas.
  • I don't need a light in the rear as i already have mounted on the back of my tractor(below fuel tank, above tranny) a light. I will want Amber strobe on top, and probably one light in front of cab, as i already have two stock headlights on front of tractor (though one of the lights [both lights are less than year old] usually burns out after a little while, i figure probably from vibration)
  • I probably won't get or use a heater, even if i get heat from engine or not...I'm used to plowing without a cab, so i will just dress extra warm.

Hopefully this gives a little more insight into what i am thinking. But i still would really like input from the Red Square family for other ideas and suggestions. Especially if someone with a WH has built a custom cab before too. I'm only 20 years young, so my budget is a fair factor.

Thank everyone.

Brian

• Like 2

brianc423

Glenn, I almost forgot about your post....I have looked at these universal cabs.....first off, they are too expensive... second, they are universally ugly on any tractor they are on. I did look into it though. Thank you.

cheesegrader

I agree with your concerns/modifications so far.

If I coud redo my stock cab, I would make a few changes

1. Need to be able to open the hood.  The bar at the base of the windshield should be a little higher, and further posterior.  This would make the windshield tilt forward of vertical, which would be fine.  The paint on my hood has rub marks from the base of my cab.  This mod would solve both problems.

2. A hard windshield with a wiper would be a big improvement.  I get BAD wind, and not being able to see out the front sucks.  Have you considered tempered glass?  Doing all this work, to end up with scuffed plexiglass up front would be a shame.

3. Two doors are nice, but I only use the one opposite my chute control handle.  You could save a ton of fab work, and have a sturdier, more weather resistant cab with only one door.

4. The rear of my cab mounts to the seat mounts.  Strong and simple, even if you end up raising the seat height an inch or two

5. I always end up taking my jacket off in the cab.  With heat, the thing would become a sauna!

Good Luck

AMC RULES

Even without heat mine's a sauna...  :confusion-shrug:

causes lots of condensation which collects on those plastic windows  PITA!

A fan in there to keep the air moving may help...  

better get it ready...snow is only 90 days away.    :scared-eek: 

post-3498-0-35082100-1375704502_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-64585200-1375704520_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-53305100-1375705046_thumb.jp

brianc423

Well I am fine with building the most of the cab. My biggest thing is the 56" plow, not a snow blower is what i am using and since the plow is so large, the blade pivot handle is in an awkward place sorta. The tractor is in the engine repair shop still. ready to be picked up. Im working just about all week. I will hopefully pick it up either Wednesday or Thursday morning and I will throw the plow on and take some pics so we can all get the idea I am struggling to convey. I will take a couple pics of the plow tonight and post those to be able to see it by it self at least.

But like I said, I am just trying to figure out what is the best way to build around/include the pivot handle of the blade when building the cab.

Thanks

Does anyone else have some pics of their cab's and how it looks with a plow attached instead of a snow blower?

Digger 66

lots of condensation which collects on those plastic windows  PITA!

Have you kicked around adding a vent to the roof , like one that's adjustable from an enclosed trailer ?

brianc423

Well I am not so worried about the condensation(well at least I'm not worried about it just yet....What would be really nice is to have a zipper window like jeep soft tops have.