Sign in to follow this  
KenMc5

1988 520 42in deck compatibility

KenMc5

First post,  hope this in the right place.   I bought a 520 Onan new back in 1988 before the Toro name was added to the decals.  

Anyway it is still used every week and has only been in the shop once for electrical.  I have 2 42inch decks.  Both give a fantastic cut with sharp blades.   Based on my good luck with this mower I want to purchase a used WH mower to use at my Fathers place.  Looking for a model or year range that would fit my decks, just in case a deck broke down.  Not sure where to start but it looks like the 400 and 500 models from the 80s and 90s would fit. 

Also on a side note I plan on having a shop fabricate a shroud for the discharge shoot and adding gator blades on one of my decks.  It will just to be used for leaf mulching in the fall.  Has anybody done this?  Quit raking leaves about 5 years ago,  mulch with a pusher, then going over with WH.  It is a lot of pushing.  Want to see if my WH can get the same results.

Thanks,  Ken

dcrage

Ken,

Any of the 300, 400, or 500 series tractors plus most of the Bs and all of the C series (C195 being the exception) will accept your decks

I mulch my leaves in the fall but don't have any modifications. 2 or 3 passes do the job pretty well. I inadvertently end up with mulching set-up sometimes when the tube on my bagging attachment clogs up. It (mulching) actually works fairly well.

Fordiesel69

don't leave out the work horse series as well.  GT1600 / GT1642 or the GT1800 / GT1848.

Some may already have a nice kseries or magnum already swapped over.

KenMc5

Thanks for the responses I thought their older decks looked pretty universal .  My decks attach to the mower just like my parents 72 WH rear discharge deck.  May get a chance to pick up a good tractor with-out a deck at a good price. 

The deck  I am converting has the bagger pulley and vacuum.  I used to use it a lot when I could not keep up with the lawn.  Could clean up an overgrown lawn really well.  I will post back if I really get this converted this year on how it works.    I am laughing on the clogging of leaves.  I never got used to the vacuum for leaf clean up.  Used to mulch first with a push mower the vacuum.  Now I mulch and then run over with side discharge.     Like to be able to mulch,  then switch decks and discharge if necessary.  Ken