Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

She runs! Then she dies...

MaineDad

Well I put a new seat and muffler on the C-160. Took the deck off the 314-8 and installed it on the C. Mowed the front yard with no trouble. Did notice a small leak under the pump but she worked and cut well.

Went out to the back yard which is much bigger and started to mow. All of a sudden she started coughing and puttering. It started getting worse. Since the tow valve is stuck closed, I had to limp her back to the garage when she finally died. Pulled the hood back and noticed gas leaking out of the air cleaner which of course means the carb. Must be a stuck float or something. I'll have to find some time soon and take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. We'll see.

The same type of stuff happened to my 314-8 when I bought that too. Took a while, but I got that one running smooth and dependable.

nylyon

Does the 160 have a fuel filter on it? It certainly sounds like the float may be stuck.

Rideawaysenior

Karl,

That is my thought too. Micah. I would try pulling the bowl off the carb and while holding the float in the upward position give the engine a couple of cranks. If you are still getting fuel then the float is not properly set and fuel is being pushed into the carb via the fuel pump. This will add too much fuel to the mixture of air and gas causing a similar symptom as to what you are describing. There are other things too that can cause this but if fuel is coming out of the air cleaner then this is most likely your problem.

Setting the float is not hard too. If you find that it is not closing all the way, you can bend the tab that the needle sits on upwards just a bit. This will reset the closing position. Ultimatley, the float should close the needle and prevent gas flow when there is a little less then a quarter inch of space between the top of the float, and the top of the carb. I know that is not the exact setting but an old school mechanic gave me that tip and it's what Ihave used ever since, and it works.

Keep us posted with your updates

Jack

MaineDad

Thanks guys. Yup did put a fuel filter on it already. Will let you know what happens.

Teddy da Bear

When you started mentioning the symptoms I thought about my GT-14 and how it acted in almost the same way.

Glad it sounds like something simple.

I wish you the best of luck getting that fixed.