Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

RJ heat shield ?

AMC RULES

Got me an RJ heat shield in the mail today...can anyone tell me why the manufacturer bent the lower left corner, and added the hole? Wondering if a bracket supposed to be there?  Once lined up with the exhaust pipe, it's not close enough to be bolted into the block...so ?    

Also curious as to why there are three holes punched into it, and only two mounting clips supplied? 

The '58-'59 RJ manuals here on the forum don't show the heat shield in the parts diagram, were they a dealer add on or something? 

What the duck over?   :scratchead:  

post-3498-0-92758000-1374795652_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-68914600-1374795683_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-61351300-1374795715_thumb.jp

• Like 1

ol550

For what it's worth, the three holes may have been to make the shield to fit different models.  The 4th

hole was used for a metal screw to fasten the heat shield to the engine sheet metal.  Most all exhaust 

modifications move the heat shield to far away to use though.  In my opinion the exhaust shield was

there more to deflect the hot air from the engine than to shield the exhaust pipe.  The pipe would

require some acrobatics to get burnt on. :dunno:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

So, did the originals include the hole in the corner...or no?   :dunno:

ol550

So, did the originals include the hole in the corner...or no?   :dunno:

Yes  Yup  That is what I have in the one original I have.

AMC RULES

:thanks:

evanloock

The one with the hole at the rear with the slight bend is correct for a 1960 Suburban 550 and 1961 551. It screwed into the jug/cylinder shield on the Lauson H55B-1170 and H55D-2113 engines. The shields for the later RJ's (early RJ-58's did not have the shield), 400 and 401 did not have that feature. The shields used on the Kohler powered tractors used 2 "broom clip" clamps. The 550 and 551 used one clamp like you have in the front and then the screw at the rear attaching the shield to the Lauson engine. In short, the shield you have is correct for a 550 or 551, not an RJ

Edited by evanloock

VinsRJ

Keep in mind that the heat shield (as well as the tool box and fenders) was an option (not standard) for the RJ up until mid to later 59 production... so seeing RJ's with that style heat shield in not uncommon, as they were added on later in life. With that said, IMO its correct enough.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Thank you for all the help guys.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Jake Kuhn

Well were on this topic.... I have seen 57 rj35's with heat shields? Does anyone know if they came with them originally or could someone just have added them?

AMC RULES

The '58-'59 manuals don't show them in place in the parts diagrams Jake...  :confusion-shrug: 

I'm thinking they must have been owner/dealer added to those years, and any of the earlier RJ's too.

I'm gonna run one on mine, at least for a while...already scalded my knee riding around with shorts on.  :angry-screaming:  

buckrancher

Here a original heat shield

100_6664_zps1f48590e.jpg

Brian

VinsRJ

Well were on this topic.... I have seen 57 rj35's with heat shields? Does anyone know if they came with them originally or could someone just have added them?

RJ35's did not have heat shields, it was an ad on if you have see one with it... Also the standard RJ heat shield will not fit between the hood stand and speed selector arm without modification.

Coadster32

I have the one Craig pictured, and the hole does line up and screw into my h55d lauson on my 551. If I had an earlier rj, I'd put one on as well...original or not. I know the leg burn Craig speaks of. :bitch:

AMC RULES

post-3498-0-95961300-1375129021_thumb.jp

Once you do start doing acrobatics on your RJ...

the heat shield is definitely a must have.   :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  

post-3498-0-82318000-1374980218_thumb.jp

Edited by Crazy Toes

dbartlett1958

You let "Bigfoot" ride your RJ?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Did you mean slew foot, or gimpy on a good day?

I can't keep 'em off the darn thing.    :) 

Jeff-C175

Craig, you need to git yerself a set of chaps when yer out ridin' !

• Like 1

AMC RULES

...and a vintage set of :wh: spurs to complete the look.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

-Rob-

WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE THE HEAT SHIELD

THANKS ROB