Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

My New 1973 Dump Cart

rmaynard

Saw an ad on Craigslist for a Wheel Horse cart. It was located about 114 miles from me, but I thought I'd take a chance on it. The wife and I hopped into the van yesterday and headed out to central PA.  After a  228 mile round trip, and a stop at the Cracker Barrel for dinner, here's what followed me home.

post-2221-0-61328300-1374413300_thumb.jp

It's a 7-2211-8, 1973 Two-Wheel Cart

Not bad shape for a 40 year old tub. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Well worth that roadtrip, love those little guys.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

KC9KAS

A nice dump cart and a meal at Cracker Barrel....what more could you ask for?

dclarke

Nice lookin cart, Bob. Well worth the trip!  :thumbs:

rmaynard

A nice dump cart and a meal at Cracker Barrel....what more could you ask for?

How about $90.00 for the cart??

AMC RULES

Smokin' deal.   :text-woo:

Ken B

Yeah 90 bucks was a smokin deal. Dinner at Cracker Barrel was just icing on the cake!

VinsRJ

Very nice addition to the collection!

squonk

Awesome cart! It can carry lots of donuts or meatloaf from CB!!!

woodchuckfarmer

Real nice cart Bob

Tankman

Very nice cart! How was dinner?

Cowboys have to keep their strength up!

Wait till your Horses pull that wagon! (Don't embarrass the Stallions, paint 'n decals are in order.)  :ychain:

clemedc

Great score Bob. I saw one listed about 100 miles from me for $150 and was wiling to go get it but it sold b4 I called.

rmaynard

@Tankman - Dinner was very good as is always the case for Cracker Barrel.

I have begun restoration on it. It didn't show in the pictures but the back end (dump area) was pushed in, so I removed the brace that is welded on in that area and started straightening the sheet metal. That is some tough sheet metal. Got to be at least 1/16" thick. After I get the straightening done, and the dings out of the bottom, it will be powder coated and the inside coated with bedliner material.

And of course new decals.  :)

• Like 1

Martin

bob, you are right about the tough sheet metal. when i straightened my tub cart, more on the sides where it was bent or out of shape from use, gradual bend from end to end,  I used a bottle jack and have a steel framework where i can put the part inside and jack from the otherside the bend back into place. i place the piece in such a way that all the straightness is supported and just the bend is pushed back where it needs to be. sort of like using a vise to straighten. use various scrap tubing or flat steel to form without pinpoint pressure from the jack. ive done this with plow blades, mower decks, any of the big stuff that beating on with a hammer only wears you out and damages the part more.....

im sure you already have your own methods, but i just thought id throw it out there for anyone else reading. hope the tub turns out nice, i really like mine. ( its in my sig...)

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

brianc423

Get find. Can't wait to see picture of the finished resto.

benzhorse

Does the cart use a pin only or is there a ball/swivel hook up?

rmaynard

Pin only.

stevebo

Nice Bob! For those that do not know (I did not until I figured it out on mine) when you release the handle to dump the cart the little "shoe" if you will bracket welded on the back top is suppose to dig into the ground when you back up and that "dumps" the debris out of the cart and you can turn it over 100%. That may be why you see so many pushed in like yours Bob. When all is out just pull forward and click the lock handle and you are done. It took me about 3 years of owning one to figure it out. Really simple design and works great. I guess that is why I have three...lol

rmaynard

And the biggest problem with those carts is that area. Although it was a neat design for dumping, it was a poor design for repairing later. 

CasualObserver

Well... it was designed to haul yard and garden crap.... not be a show piece!  :teasing-poke::ychain:

Looks like a nice survivor. Enjoy it!  I use mine all the time.

10-26-11+164.JPG

8-13-11%2B011.jpg

rmaynard

This is the third one that I've owned. I use my original one all summer long. The second one was sold at the WHCC show in June, and this one is being restored for shows and grandkid haul'n.

dcrage

Jason -- What do you have mounted on the front of your tractor that is hauling the kids around??

CasualObserver

Jason -- What do you have mounted on the front of your tractor that is hauling the kids around??

It's a 540 RPM Farm PTO.  Wheel Horse number 8-3211.  It was for running stationary things like a bin auger.