Sign in to follow this  
bean

do you use your 600 and 700 series tractors?

bean

just curious if anyone actually uses their 704 or 633,etc to do any chores ? I bought a k161t and it looks to be in good shape.  I would like to put into a daily worker. I just am having flashbacks to my early construction days, when we would spend many a cold morning trying to start an old Wisconsin or briggs  point/condenser type engine.   I hate to create a headache for myself.  I would need it on those cold winter mornings, to move firewood, etc.

I think it would work fine, if everything is correct. my buddy used to ride an early Harley and never had any trouble, while others couldn't get theirs started. he always said  "if its right, it's as reliable as any new bike"

being a pull start should make it even more interesting.

and just think,  no battery to worry about.

and headlights? who needs 'em?

Edited by bean

Jake Kuhn

I have a 702 that I use for quite a bit. I plow snow with it, have plowed the garden, graded the driveway with it, and might just put the mower deck on it. They make a pretty nice tractor to use!

bean

thanks Jake,

I started restoring the k161. everything looks good.   it has a walbro carb. I don't know much about them,  but the throttle shaft is in great shape. almost no play.

I think this engine sat a lot. I took off the engine shroud, and it looked like a mouse has been living in it since the 70s

47JDG

As you said, if they are right and everything is up to par then it would be fine. These older ones are fun and do work well when everything is up to par. But when you really need it right now you don't want to be out there screwing around when its very cold and you need to haul firewood or whatever. Having said that, I look at the early ones as novelty. Will they work and do the job well? Absolutely. Are they the best choice today? No. My dad and I hobby farm around 60 acres, all with tractors and equipment from the 40's 50's and 60's. Our stuff works really well and we enjoy it, but it don't compare at all to the modern advancements and comforts that have been designed into equipment and tractors since those days. I have been going 'put' put' in the fields on a 2-cylinder John Deere my whole life, so has my dad. They hold a special place close to my heart. Having said that...a newer more modern tractor sure would be nice when the work gets real serious sometimes!

'

bean

I look at the early ones as novelty. Will they work and do the job well? Absolutely. Are they the best choice today? No.

'

I would probably be using it for nostalgia as well. I drove an old cub on my grandfathers farm, along with a couple of ford 8ns, as a kid.

unfortunately, the ignition coil looks a little rough. I will have to get a closer look at it.

Ken B

I use my round hoods for work. Your friend is correct, if things are in tune and the engine isn't dead dog whooped she'll fire right up in cold weather.

Click on link and watch video to see one of my rounds hoods at work. (or play)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIjOaO4gIWA

• Like 1

Kelly

I use a round hood to plow or blow snow and I think it starts as good as any tractor I own, use it all summer to, I do tweek the carb setting for warm or cold weather, but probably don't have to. 

wallfish

I use an old reliable 654 for pushing snow and dirt. Used a 702 for mowing the lawn until it was sold in June so now I use a 655 for mowing.

post-658-0-40375300-1374289338.jpg

• Like 1

bean

thanks gentleman.

tore into it a little and found the coil in bad shape.

the flywheel looks like it's off of a troy bilt, but could just be a generic engine off of who knows what. it had a narrow dual pulley(3/8") mounted on the crankshaft. maybe an air compressor

will have to price the replacement parts to see if it is going to be too expensive for a beater/worker.

Edited by bean

squonk

Did someone say work? :)

IMG_0379_zpsf9183cec.jpg

IMG_0372_zpsa2dc5e30.jpg

IMG_0362_zps437e127a.jpg

DSCF1153.jpg

DSCF1154.jpg

• Like 1

bean

fella's

those are some amazing tractors. hard to imagine a lg tractor still going strong 50YEARS LATER!

the only thing I'm not sure about is replacing the coil/magneto. I have not tried that before. I will have to look through the owners manual, to see if there is a step by step. I'm assuming that it is a fixed position mount, considering it is under the flywheel.

was the k161 rated for a 36" deck, in any early wh tractor?

littleredrider

Since my newest tractor is say a 65, I use mine for work. Nothing hard core, live in a crap hole apartment. But mostly mow the lawn and plow/blow the driveway. But the two that I use don't have original engines. I'm slowly working on the 854, that has the K181 in it, not sure what that is gonna do yet. Then I have the 1045 with no motor, not sure what that is gonna do either. But one way or another they will all get used, reason why I got them in the first place....

B-100 Dan

Quite a few years back, I had a 654 I used for everything. Mowing the grass, snow removal, garden work, moving fire wood with cart. No complaints, it did it all, and only 6HP.

47JDG

Replacing the magneto isn't hard to do on a K series. There are some good detailed steps online if you need them, free manual downloads also. I am not sure if any of those early models with a K161 had a 36 inch deck on them. I believe they were mostly around 32" or so? Seems like a 6 horse could run a 36" deck though?

bean

Seems like a 6 horse could run a 36" deck though?

I think this is a k161(7hp)

I ruled out the possibility that it was a k141(6-1/4hp), although I was hoping that's what it was.

47JDG

Yea, it is. I was thinking K141.

bean

I would think a 7hp kohler would power a 36" deck.   my 8hp kohler powered a 42" deck,  although it was really pushing it and I had to mow at a lower speed.

anyone have a k161/36" deck ?

TT

704 & 36" deck:

70441209008.jpg

Don't be in a hurry though. :thumbs2:

littleredrider

My old lawn ranger with the pathetic 6 horse would mow with the 32", but luckily it was slower than a snail so would cut it. I'd think any small Kohler would mow with a 36" long as speed as kept within reason.

bean

Don't be in a hurry though. :thumbs2:

:laughing-rolling:

Edited by bean