Sign in to follow this  
Lagersolut

Dash plate

Lagersolut

I wasn't going to start a thread on this,  but it's driving me nuts ....was looking at the the wheel Horse of the month thread all series except D- 1st tractor listed is a restored C -160 - beautiful tractor - perfect restore -

The dash plate looks brand new - they aren't available anymore - what's the secret to reviving the raised white letters and bringing it back to this condition  ?  is there a vendor here doing these ?

I didn't see it ( or the one I'm after ) on Glenn's page .

Thanks

Digger 66

what's the secret to reviving the raised white letters and bringing it back to this condition  ? 

There is the method that they used to use to restore old raised-letter license plates  :

1) paint the entire Item in the color you want the raised portions to ultimately appear ( white ? ) let dry .

2) paint the entire item in the color you want the background to appear ( black ? ) let dry .

3) gently rub out the top portion of the raised letters with rubbing compound until the white appears .

Kind of tedious , but if you cant find them new it's the next best thing .Looks like TT's idea is .

-Gene

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 2

TT

From the onsite search box:

Lagersolut

Thanks, .... didn't even think of using the search function .

Butch

MikesRJ restores them.

rmaynard

MikesRJ restores them.

Actually, I don't think Mike restores them. He did mine, but hasn't done any others recently.

Golds-Red - I have a couple that I restored. PM me with your email address and I can send you pictures.

DOC in Kentucky

I did one on my 69 GT. It was from Glen. I used a white paint marker I bought at an office supply store. It was like a felt tipped marker. Worked great!!!

Anglo Traction

I've done 2 the hard way. One is now on Stigian's 6x6 and the other is on my 74 C-120 project.

I used a fine brush and a mix of White Automotive Primer and Top coat. The idea being that the cellulose base would bond well to the Plastic. 

Very time consuming, but worth it for a good result. the Dash needs to have a good scrub with detergent of some kind to get the dirt and grease out of all the crevices and grain pattern.