Sign in to follow this  
RMCIII

42" Snow blower

RMCIII

Should I be concerned? Recently I purchased 2 self aligning bearings for the primary shaft on the 42" snow blower. After getting the olds one off, and cleaning the shaft ends, we noticed the end that has the belt pulley was worn slightly. I slipped the new bearing on and you could definitely feel the resistance drop as the bearing slid into the worn area. Should I be concerned with this? I know the bearings self align for back and forth, not for lack of diameter. I checked the price of the shaft, $300.00. Just not sure I need to spend the $300.00. Thoughts?

Kelly

You should be ok, but if you think a new shaft is needed, a local machine shop should be able to make you a new one for under $100 it is just bar stock with one key way cut in it for the pulley, my neighbor does machining at his house I know he would cut the key way for about $20 or less, if I handed him a shaft cut to size, finding used shafts is another option but I part tractors and attachments and can say good used ones are hard to find, except in good complete blowers