Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

417A Winch **** PIC HEAVY ****

HorseFixer

A couple years ago I was at Harbor Freight and picked up a 2000lb Bad Lands Winch. At the time I didn't know what I would put it on. :confusion-shrug: This spring a friend of mine picked up one also and he made a spindly mount made out of perforated steel and it bent like a pretzel. He sent me the dimensions of the frame and mount and I made him one which he mounted on his John Deere tractor. :hide:  He built an "A" Frame and was going to use his winch  to lift up his tractor to be able to service it etc.. Well in doing so I thought since I only use my 417A to pull attachment's with I would mount my Winch on the front of mine. As in just about everything I do I get carried away with the size of material needed but some of the time as is in this case I use what size stock I have. I made it to secure with the attach matic but also used bolts through the frame for a permanent mount.  :handgestures-thumbup: I also picked up the electronic remote control which comes in handy. So far I have used it on a couple of recovery missions one of which I pulled a lawn ranger out of some weeds, and loading some tractors pulling them up the ramps on a trailer. So far it works pretty good. I hope it don't fall off! :ychain: Here are some pics.

Cheers ~Duke

DSCN6303.jpg

DSCN6304.jpg

DSCN6305.jpg

DSCN6306.jpg

DSCN6310.jpg

DSCN6311.jpg

DSCN6312.jpg

DSCN6318.jpg

DSCN6322.jpg

DSCN6321.jpg

DSCN6323.jpg

DSCN6313.jpg

DSCN6315.jpg

DSCN6320.jpg

• Like 4

GlenPettit

Very very nice.  You have thought of everything, and it's "tank-tough".

Sparky

As always Duke...it looks great.

I wouldn't worry about it "falling off" !!

So if you take a hard left turn how close is the right front tire to the winch motor?

Mike.............

SALTYWRIGHT

VERY NICE.  I HAVE A WINCH ON THE FRONT OF MY 417-8-DIESEL. IT HELPS FOR WEIGHT WHEN I USE THE CRANE ON THE BACK.

MalMac

Nice Duke, only now  you gona have to find a way to put some type of anchors down to keep it in one place while winching. Some type of out riggers like big rig recovery tow trucks have.

SousaKerry

Nice to see you have been keeping yourself busy Duke while you were hiding from the world :hide:

Welcome back!!

steelman

That is one sweet ideal and it looks so nice all painted up. I have a 417-A that I bought this past spring and I sure wish it looked like yours. Probably won't get too much done to it until I retire in 18 months or so.  But I'm looking forward to spending winter days in the horse barn.

rexman72

nice work love that 417A

HorseFixer

As always Duke...it looks great.

I wouldn't worry about it "falling off" !!

So if you take a hard left turn how close is the right front tire to the winch motor?

Mike.............

Thanks guys! :handgestures-thumbupright: Mike as usual you don't miss a thing and very good question. I went out and took a picture not that you had me worried or anything. :hide: and found that I have a whole inch. :dance:  Gosh I could throw a cat through there.  :eusa-whistle:

:USA:  Happy 4th to all of you  ~Duke

DSCN6328.jpg

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice job on the winch.

You won't hear me complain if you build it out of heavier steel than (someone else thinks is) necessary.

I tend to build things stronger, but I really don't have to "lick my calf over" much either!

Just saw a 12,000# winch with remote & auto brake in Harbor Freight for $299......$200 savings!

dclarke

Looks good Duke.  I don't think it's gonna fall off.  :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Cheese-n-rice Duke...looks like you've made yourself a 9K mount, for that 2K winch. 

Don't look like it'll be falling off anytime soon.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

JimD

As always, nice job Bob. Think you might need some sort of guard over the wiring to the winch? I know I'd find a way to rip that all to pieces with something. lol

Jake Kuhn

That's very neat duke. Now you can take it trailing in the woods. Lol

JC 1965

Great job Duke. that winch looks like it was made to fit that tractor. I have a C-121 that I push snow with I put a polaris winch on the front of it to lift the snow blade. I have a bad back and using the manual lift handle was getting almost impossible. The winch works great and my back really likes it.     :hide:

Ken B

As always Duke, Very nice work! Love that 417-A ya got there.

papaglide

Lookin good Duke!

Butch

A winch? What are ya going 4 wheelin with some other tractors?

Wheel-N-It

Bob, you are one of the most talented Wheel Horse guys I know! I wish I had your fabrication skills.