Sign in to follow this  
Ishman

Tubeless tires on old rims

Ishman

Hi Guys, I finally got around to getting the wheels on my 702 sandblasted and powder coated, you can see why I made this decision in the attached photo,the guy I bought it from was a genius! I found a local powder coat'er who has a color that looks pretty close to the original WH linen white. My question is all 4 of my new tires are tubeless, can I mount them on the old rims without a tube?  Thanks, Keith

post-5812-0-05757900-1372602353_thumb.jp

daveoman1966

For probably less than $30 bux you can buy and install new tubes.  If not, and one (or more) of the tires goes flat, you're gonna be pretty hot to have to tear down and repair that new tire....at the risk of damage to it.  IMHO...put the tuibes it and be done with it.   

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

DO   Is right on the money. Iv"e got a whole shed full of tractors

out there and not a flat on any one, But tubes in all.

Most old original tires I admit but would not put any back

in service without tubes.

That's just me in Texas    JIM RODGERS

welderman85

I like to spend the extra on tubes and know that the tires wont be flat

Ishman

Looks like its unanimous, I will just put tubes in the tires. Thanks guys!

pacer

Man, tubeless tires on yard/work equip is one of my pet peeves - geesh what a pain. Anymore I take that wheelbarrow/cart/ etc. etc and as soon as possible get tubes in them.

TSC seems to have as good a price on tubes as most....

littleredrider

I have a set of 6-12 duals on one of mine, original rims, new Ags with no tubes. they've been in there for 2 years now I think, I haven't checked air pressure since, but they are still holding air fine.

groundhog47

On two new tri ribs I have one holdin and one foldin. Guess tube town here we come, uh! All 6 others doin fine on 4 old wheels and 2 not real old rims. From the start the tri ribs sizzled all round the rim, just reshod one WH Fri and reaired it to mow, went flat before finished yard (1/2 acre or less). P somethined me offffff. Head the Firestones Tri Ribs were notorious for bead leak, guess ya fig'd I was a hard head, uh huh!

Oh, yes rims are tubeless type.

Edited by groundhog47

Tankman

DO   Is right on the money. Iv"e got a whole shed full of tractors

out there and not a flat on any one, But tubes in all.

Most old original tires I admit but would not put any back

in service without tubes.

That's just me in Texas    JIM RODGERS

For once, this old Jarhead agrees with an old Squid! I learned while stationed in the early 60's at Camp Lejeune, NC, "Squids are for kids."

Wrong in your case Jim, I agree 100%!  :ychain:

Zeek

I don't have tubes in mine for the same reason I don't have tubes in my car tires, I don't need them.  BUT none of mine are workers except for cutting grass.  I lube mine with products like Armor All on the beads for ease off mounting and to make a good rim seal.  If you don't have shiny smooth rims edges I'd go with tubes, otherwise that will be your leak point. 

Ishman

Well after wrestling with a tube just to have a hole present itself right around the stem, I put one of the rear Carlisle Tru-Power's on Tubeless. We will see what happens. This tractor is slowly getting restored and see's only recreational riding. I had the rims powder coated in a color called Oyster White, I closely matches the original off white and man are these rims SMOOTH! I cant imagine them leaking. This tractor also will only be used for recreational riding so we shall see. I just didn't know if you "could" use these rims tubeless or not.

What a great forum this is, always get many great posts, good stuff.

K2

littleredrider

Get some bead sealer. I use them on every tire change from truck tires down to the tiny fronts on a lawn ranger. Course need tubes in those, but the rear doesn't have any. The sealer can fill in small holes or tears in the bead, also make it tacky for the beads to stay on....