Sign in to follow this  
Jeff-C175

Snow blade on bluestone driveway

Jeff-C175

I have a hard time plowing without picking up a whole pant-load of stones.

I had this crazy idea...  anybody think it will work?

My idea is to fabricate 'skids' and attach (weld or bolt) them to each side of the blade so that it can not be dropped into the stone.  I don't care if I leave an inch or two of snow... obviously if I did, I would have the driveway paved!

So what thinks you?  will it work?  anyone tried it before?

Thanks in advance for any input.

tunahead72

I don't plow, so I can't help you much, but just to clarify...

When you say "bluestone", do you mean large, thick slabs of stone, or more like 3/4" gravel?

This almost sounds like a common enough problem that maybe Wheel Horse would have offered an accessory to deal with it.  Maybe wheels? :dunno:

Jeff-C175

Bluestone is the generic name for that dark gray chunky gravel.  I probably should have said "Crushed Bluestone" because yes, those paver slabs are made of bluestone too...

I've got 3/4" crushed bluestone.

3_4_Bluestone_lg.jpg

image courtesy redwingsandandgravel.com

Regular truck plows use those 'mushroom' thingys to adjust the plow height, but they don't work good because they leave deep gouges.  Wheels would gouge when you try to turn, or if your plow is angled.

I found something after googling that I'm gonna try.  Sandwich a piece of horse stall mat between the blade and the cutting edge:

Can be seen in this thread (images won't link)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/194021-snow-plowing-gravel-drive-problem.html

These guys said this works great...  my neighbor has I'm sure some scrap pieces laying around...

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Number 92-6840 is still available when entered as a model number here

http://www.partstree.com/parts/

Garry

• Like 1

AMC RULES

From the picts in your link...looks like the rubber sandwich idea works very well indeed. 

Might have to give that a try myself...thanks for sharing Jeff.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

dennist

From the picts in your link...looks like the rubber sandwich idea works very well indeed. 

Might have to give that a try myself...thanks for sharing Jeff.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Same here

Tankman

I third that idea. I have skids for blades that I use for snow on my gravel driveway.

Remove the skids to scrape bare earth where I sometimes leave the herd outdoors. This area I'm going to pave with millings.

Last week I did a drive, couple of hundred feet long, laying millings over my crushed stone. The millings are packin' very well and should make snow removal an easier chore.

Definitely going to try the rubber mat setup all I'll need is longer carriage bolts. Nice idea. :eusa-think:

KC9KAS

Some of the WH push blases actually had a "shoe" for this problem.

I just adjust my lift handle depth stop so I don't get into the rock.

Jeff-C175

Thanks all!

Garry, those skids are very similar in theory to the rubber mat idea.  I think they would still make the gouges like the mushroom type do. (I've had a neighbor plow with a truck mounted plow and he 'tore it up').  I made something very similar for my walk behind blower and while it helped, it didn't eliminate throwing rocks at anyone/anything withing 100'.

Craig, I want your Barracuda!  I had one 'back in the day' and it was one of my favorite all-time cars.

Tankman,  I've been thinking about spreading millings over the bluestone to fill the gaps.  I think after it gets packed down it would tend to keep the bluestone in place.  The mat idea looks ideal to spread and smooth millings.

Ken,  I've tried that myself but the drive isn't dead flat.  There are a couple slight 'whoop dee doos' that when the machine rides up and over, the plow digs on the other side.  The truck mounted plow has the same problem.

I'm going up this afternoon to see if "Mister Ed" will let me steal a piece of his stall mat.

Austin860

I know my d series plow has the option of putting "skis" on the bottom. They look like small skis, and I don't think that those would cut a path on you driveway. Anybody else have any input on these?

Tankman

I know my d series plow has the option of putting "skis" on the bottom. They look like small skis, and I don't think that those would cut a path on you driveway. Anybody else have any input on these?

While grading, moving snow, the small "skis" on the bottom of my dozer blades did (and do) leave ruts in my stone drive.

I took the "skis" off. Works better for me.   :)

Austin860

Do you have a Manuel or hydronic lift?

Jeff-C175

Do you have a Manuel or hydronic lift?

Mine?  Hydraulic...  why?

Mr. Ed isn't giving up any of his mat... dangit.  I guess I gotta get a whole piece.

Kai Thomsen

I had the same problem.  Found 2 of those small swivel wheels with a short piece of 19mm / 3/4"  steel rod on top.  I just welded a short steel tube on the backside / each side of the plow and stuck the wheels on.. i can adjust the height of each wheel, and it works fine for me.  They dont tear into the gravel when i turn around or go tru corners...and has saved me a couple of times from flying of the tractor when plowing an uneven sidewalk because the plow itself doesn't touch the ground

Austin860

If you have a hydronic lift then don't lower it all the way, just bring it down a little bit

Jeff-C175

Austin, sure that would work IF and ONLY if the driveway was dead flat... and it's not.  I've tried that, and it don't work...

When the lift is not all the way down, the actual height of the blade depends on whether it's going UP a little hill or coming down the other side... think about the geometry...

The blade needs to follow the contours of the driveway, so it must be all the way down with a slack lift chain.

js5020

One of the options I use plowing out on the lawn is a piece of pipe with a slit the full length slid over the cutting edge, no need for skid shoes the blade is down on the ground and it doesnt dig in,,, does a real nice job.  For my purposes I use pvc, on stone I would think metal pipe would wear longer but pvc is cheap and easy to work with.

• Like 2

B-100 Dan

I have heard of guys putting a length of pipe on the bottom of the blade. If I were to do this, I believe I would make another cutting edge and weld the pipe to that, then attach to the blade. That way you have the original one for grading dirt, gravel and stone and such. Good Luck.

Jeff-C175

I saw the pipe trick in my googling also. 

Guys say that PVC shatters in the cold, ABS is better, but both wear quickly on stones.  Does work though... basically same idea I think as the rubber 'squeegee', gives that rounded edge that won't dig in.

Also saw pics of metal pipe and while I'm sure it lasts way longer, it too wears down.  I don't know if it would wear fast enough to matter though... If one gets a season out of it, just slap a new pipe over the summer ready for next season!

I'm gonna try the mat first I think... I just have to wait till Ed is outta the stall and run over there and swipe a piece!