Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

1971 800?

T-Mo

I ran across what appears to be a 1971 800, the model no. on the ID tag is 1-0450. It has an 8 hp Briggs and it's an automatic. My question is this, the rear end looks completely different than any other Wheel Horse I've seen. There seems to be a box shape frame that supports the transmission. Does any one have a picture of a rear end of a 800? If not, I will try and get a picture of it myself. Are could someone tell me if there is a frame B) that supports the transmission on a 800? Thanks. :whistle:

Sparky

Your eyes are good Terry. Those tractors have some sort of Peerless tranny and not the Uni-drive we are used to.

My nieghbor has one but I dont have a pic of it.

Mike...........

ol550

:whistle: The 800's are lot different. Check out the Parts Tree diagram. I have one of the automatics and a couple of the three speeds. Use one to pull dead cars into the shop. Even made a narrow front end for it, only problem is it is light on the front and have set it up on end a couple of times. B)

Have you let us know where the 753 is and when you plan to go for that roll pin? B) B)

T-Mo

Here's what the frame looks like in Toro's Product Center site and this looks like what I saw today in person:

Untitled-1.jpg

Kelly

I have two 800 specials (3 speeds) and yes they have a peerless trans, and a frame all there own, and 8hp briggs, not sure about the auto's but my 3 speed frames have the rear quick hitch built in to the frame, just it's alittle wide for a snow blade, so I put a longer rod in the rear hole of the plow and the blade fit's inside the brackets.

T-Mo

This one is just called "800" and the frame diagram shown above looks like what I saw underneath the one I saw today. Weird setup and the hitch was on that frame shown. Also, and I do believe this was homemade, there was some weird bumper like contraption on the front. B)

Kelly

May have been the mule drive or pulley set up what ever it's called, the one's on mine are a piece of flat stock bent in a U to fit around the front of the frame and the pulley mount inside it, and then a flat box goes over that, wish I had a pic.

T-Mo

I know there might have been some confusion on what tractor I saw. The ID tag has 1-0450, which makes it a 1971 800 Automatic. Here's the info from Toro on that model number:

window1.jpg

The pictures aren't that good, but I took some of it this evening. The paint job isn't too bad, but there are no markings on it, other than the id tag:

100_0560.jpg

100_0557.jpg

100_0558.jpg

I didn't noticed the electric clutch the first time I saw it, but it's there. Also, in the one picture you can see the rear frame assembly. Even though a '71 800 had a 8 hp Briggs, and even though this one has a 8 hp Briggs, I'm not sure it's the original one. B)

wh500special

Terry,

Even though that boxed in rear looks kind of goofy and improvised, it is OEM. Those 800's used a Foote transaxle in place of the normal unidrive. Hydro and gear models were available I think.

The tractor was a slightly cheaper, less heavy duty model of the Charger/Raider/Bronco ilk and had these less expensive rears and Briggs engines. Decent "yard" tractors (I guess that would be the classification to use) but not quite as tough as the bigger, more expensive models.

I don't have any of my literature handy (all boxed up), but I think I recall there being a bunch of Service Bulletins relating to problems with these Foote units. I got the impression over the years that they are pretty tough, but not quite up to typical WH spec and could be overtaxed more easily than the conventional unidrives.

The homemade looking deal on the front (part of it at least) was for the 36" deck that was available for this tractor. The "U" shaped bracket held a couple of pulleys, tensioning levers, and a spring that served the same purpose as the "mule drives" seen on later tach-a-matic tractors. The whole mess was covered up with a sheet metal box that looked a lot like that gray piece on the front of the pictured tractor (although I don't think that gray piece is the actual part). Worked well. Also used the same setup on the WorkHorse 800 tractor.

If you buy that tractor and want to trade for something with a genuine unidrive, let me know. I have a decent Workhorse 800 I might be willing to swap (tec 8 hp, 3spd uni). And, it is in Alton which isn't too far from you down there in the lead belt.

Steve

T-Mo

Steve,

According to the spec's I've saw on the Toro site, the transmission in the Automatics like this one is the Eaton 6. Other than the electric clutch, I kind of like this one. This one has a 36" rear discharge deck that's kind of rough, but has been painted. It's there, behind the tractor, but I didn't take a picture of it. I've neglected to ask why it isn't underneath the tractor.

I agree, more of a "yard" tractor than a garden tractor, sort of a prerunner to the later B-series, i.e. B-80, B-100.

As for trading, I haven't decided if I want this one. The guy has this one and a 1076 repowered with a 12 hp Kohler. I have considered trading my 314-8 for them both, but doubt it if I will. But it's an option. B)

combatmp29r

Terry the Eaton 6 is what was in the charger V7/V8s also. I have a few around here :whistle: , and no real issues with any of them yet. Oh and I abuse them too. B)

wh500special

According to the spec's I've saw on the Toro site, the transmission in the Automatics like this one is the Eaton 6. Other than the electric clutch, I kind of like this one.

The guy has this one and a 1076 repowered with a 12 hp Kohler. I have considered trading my 314-8 for them both, but doubt it if I will. But it's an option. B)

Showme Terry,

I didn't think about the hydro unit being a separate piece than the transaxle...So having an Eaton in there as spec'ed by Toro makes sense to me. But I think the "axle" part of the transaxle is a Foote. Might be a Peerless as mentioned earlier. Somebody ought to know...

Really, it doesn't matter the more I think about it unless you crack it open and start replacing parts...

Huh, I LIKE electric clutches. Easier to attach/remove belts and engage/disengage with the flip of a switch. And, no axial thrust on the crankshaft like from the friction type which is why this tractor can have that Briggs on there.

In my opinion, you'd be better served to keep your 314 than trade it on two older, smaller tractors. Even if they are in good shape, chances are your much newer 314 will be more reliable as a working machine. More versatile too since it has a wider range of readily available implements for it.

Of couse, the 800 and the 1076 are older, "vintage" machines which has some appeal, but neither was a standout (or oddball) as far as "collectibility" is concerned. then again, they're both hydros while your 314 is a gear drive...

Man, am I being non-committal here or what? Time to get off the pot...

If it were me, I'd keep the 314.

Forever pontificating,

Steve

T-Mo

Steve,

I do think I will keep the 314, it's only 10 years old, runs real good, has less than 300 hours on it, and my decks and snow plow can interchange between it and both of my C's. But I had thought of seeing what the guy would want for that 800. I did like that 1076 but I think I like this 800 also. :whistle: Trading the 314 was a thought, but just a thought that I don't think I will act upon. B)

pond195520032003

T Mo, had one just like it a couple years ago, strange set up though but original! :whistle: when you put combine eaton and foote, thats putting

your foote in your mouth B)B) B)