Sign in to follow this  
Rusty69

Charger 12 Restore Question

Rusty69

This is my first post.  Sorry if it has been answered before a million times but I cant seem to find it anywhere. I am new to restoring tractors.

I have a '69 Charger 12 that belonged to my grandfather.  I want it to look showroom new.  I don't want it to look like some idiot (ie me) tried to restore it.  I found the paint colors post on another thread but I am having trouble with my paint selection. 

Assuming I would blast first:

I could not rattle can.  I am not that good.  I would be able to tell and that would drive me nuts.  So the alternatives are base coat/clear coat (I would take I to a body shop) or powder coat.  BUT in my simple mind, there are too many parts and return trips to the body shop would be frequent and getting each tiny part professionally painted would be cost prohibitive.  When people are anal about restoring and cant rattle can very well, do they normally get the hood, fenders & rims professionally painted and then rattle can the frame, engine and smaller components?

Thanks

whfan74

Yes, those that can't usually tend to have the larger areas done very well as your focus tends to gravitate to that area. Also keep in mind the line of sight by most is from up above while looking down at the machine.

Rusty69

Yes, those that can't usually tend to have the larger areas done very well as your focus tends to gravitate to that area. Also keep in mind the line of sight by most is from up above while looking down at the machine.

Thanks for the response.  BTW, I live just south of Larwill. About 10 miles east from you.  :)

953 nut

You may want to see if a local Community College offers adult auto body evening classes. I did my first street rod that way, did body work at home and took parts in as they were ready for paint. You would be able to point with pride and say " I painted that :wh: ".

Regardless of your choice please keep us posted and we want pictures! Good luck.

:USA: