Sign in to follow this  
Ken431

Will an older single stage snow blower fit on a 312-8?

Ken431

New to the site but have been running my 1968 Commando 8 since 1999. It's a nice old machine but I want to upgrade to a "modern" unit like the 312-8 for a side discharge deck and a hydraulic lift. I have wheel weights, chains and a snow blower (model number 6 1211).  My question is...... Can I remove the tach a matic from the 312-8 and install the old snow blower?  I'm not worried about getting a new belt or doing some minor retrofitting of the pulleys.  I just want to know if the mounts and lift mechanisms will hook up.  Also need to know if the pto pulley will align with the snow blower pulley.  Any general advice on which newer tractor models would work for using this snow blower is appreciated. Thanks!

gwest_ca

Likely be easier to drill the hitch you have and install a crossbar so it fits into the Quick hitch. The Commando 8 is a short frame tractor so the lift tube will be short for the long-frame 312-8. You may be able to slip a length of tubing onto the flag to make up the difference.

The rest should line up I think. Most of the knowledge is at the show so you will get a better answer when their back home. 

Garry

Ken431

The lift tube was for a long frame and I cut it to spec for the short frame commando 8. Saved the cut piece just in case...... If the 312-8 and related units have the same front frame mounting holes as the commando I should be able to make it work. I guess I need to look at a few machines to size it up. Thanks for the head start. Anyone else with experience in this type of retrofit?

leeave96

Likely be easier to drill the hitch you have and install a crossbar so it fits into the Quick hitch. The Commando 8 is a short frame tractor so the lift tube will be short for the long-frame 312-8. You may be able to slip a length of tubing onto the flag to make up the difference.

The rest should line up I think. Most of the knowledge is at the show so you will get a better answer when their back home. 

Garry

+1 

I did this on a snow blower one time.  Worked pretty good.  My measurements were by the seat of my pants and as such I had to try several drive belts to get one that would fit.