Sign in to follow this  
RMCIII

518xi - Hydro-shutter

RMCIII

I am wondering if anything is even wrong at all, or maybe just a slight adjustment of the hydro-drive is all that may be needed. Here is the symptoms:

• Mowing or driving, while pedal is fully depressed, when you remove your foot from pedal you can feel a slight shutter as it slows down
  • Same cenario- if I control the pedal to slow the tractor down, no shutter
  • No hesitation in forward or reverse anytime. Matter of fact, it will pull the front wheels off the ground from a dead stop

I've operated several foot operated hydro-garden tractors and can't ever remember any of them having a slight shutter when you would remover your foot to allow the tractor to slow on it's own.

Oil and filter are fresh, maybe 25hrs total.

As always

Thanks for your Horse Support:

Rob

gwest_ca

Wild guess but make sure the rear wheel hubs are tight on the axles.

Garry

RMCIII

Tightened at 80 foot pounds.

Hodge71

Rob, I'm not sure I would be too worried about it honestly. I had a JD compact utlility tractor (really a POS Yanmar with green and yellow plastic covers) and it did the same thing when youd let your foot off the hydro pedal. Didnt do it when you controlled the decelleration just like you described. Ran super until the day the wiring caught on fire and burned the whole tractor to the ground which JD wouldnt cover because it was 2 months out of warranty.I got smart and came back to Wheel Horse 

• Like 1

Callen

Might try some lube on all the pedal connections and pivots, may be dry and hanging up a bit.

RMCIII

Thanks guys. Will open up the cover and see if the pivot is gummed up like Callen suggests.

Rob

Jeff-C175

Tightened at 80 foot pounds

You're talking about the 3/8" square head set screws on the hub itself?   Really EIGHTY?  foot pounds?  Spec is 30, which is plenty tight enough IMO.

RMCIII

Jeff, not sure we are talking the same thing. "Set screw" < no, rear wheel hubs are held on to rear axel by (5) 5/8" bolts. No set screws in the rear of a 5xi tractor.

Jeff-C175

Yes, we sure are!  I've never had the pleasure of messing with a 5xx ... I ASSumed they all had the setscrews and woodruff key.

gwest_ca

Each rear hub is retained to the axle with two 3/8"-16x1" square head cup point set screws. They are shown on the Hydro Transaxle Assembly ipl.

The only place I have seen the torque spec is in the 1978-79 service manual at 28-32 ft-lb but likely in the 5xi manuals also.

Garry

Jeff-C175

OK, now I'm totally confused, and I know this is 'drifting' the topic, but:

Is it correct then that the HUBS are held to the axles with a pair of set screws or not?

Rob,  you aren't talking about the 5 bolts that hold the WHEEL to the HUB, are you?

As for torque specs, in the absence of a manufacturer spec, always torque to the correct spec for the BOLT SIZE and THREAD PITCH.